Tuesday, January 5, 2010

the narrow gate

"Enter through the narrow gate.
For wide is the gate
and broad is the road
that leads to destruction,
and many enter through it."

Today I found myself drawn to the teachings of Jesus. I love my NLT Slimline Bible because all of His words are in red letters. I read through several parables before I reached the narrow gate. I love the imagery Jesus provides. He didn't give a lot of flowery details, but rather made His point clearly.

Walking through the narrow gate requires us to leave others behind. Either because God calls us to do something on our own, or He's called us to do something that others see as too big of a sacrifice.

Walking through the narrow gate can be lonely. Choosing to move forward alone can feel incredibly intimidating.

Walking through the narrow gate requires faith. It requires courage to enter through a gate when we have no idea what lies waiting for us on the other side.

Walking through the narrow gate requires deliberate action on our part. When we reach the gate, we are faced with choice of either walking through it or walking around it.

Walking through the narrow gate requires that we lay down all of our baggage. It's impossible to enter the narrow gate while still clinging to other people, doubt, fear, worry and all of those other heavy burdens we humans love to hold onto.

In my life, God has placed many, many narrow gates. I wish I could say that I've entered through every single one of them, but I haven't. Far too many times I have allowed my need for companionship, security and control to lure me towards the wide gate.

Destruction comes in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes it's been the loss of friendship I relied to heavily upon. Sometimes it's come in illness or depression. Other times it's come in the loss of a dream. Always, it's been the loss of blessings, peace and joy.

I don't believe that God has been the author of the destruction. That's not who He is. My consequences have come when I've chosen paths that are outside of His will for me. All that He has for me, for us, is good and pure.

When I have dropped my need for control, trusted God to never leave me and allowed myself to rely on His strength and promises--I have been blessed beyond believe. Every single time I have followed His path for my life, He has met me just on the other side of that narrow gate. I'm never alone and I'm never in want. He supplies all that I need, each and every date. And His blessings are out-of-this-world!

Choosing the narrow gate keeps us LIVING A BLESSED LIFE! God loves us and has amazing things in store for each of us. May we have the faith and courage to trust Him and keep on walking...

Thankful for His goodness,

2 comments:

TanyaLea said...

Oh Amy Jo~ I LOVE this post!! Yes, I too am SO thankful for His goodness! I can't imagine walking through this life without him by my side. What a helplessly dark and lonely place that would be. And like you, I have not always chosen the 'narrow gate' for many fo the same reasons you stated. But I also appreciate how you made it clear the the negative consequences of those decisions are not God's choice for us, but rather what we chose for ourselves. The Word tells us that we should not even say that adversity comes from God. Yet all too often I hear even Christians saying how God caused something negative that happened in their life to teach them a lesson, or whatever...and they forget that it is Satan that comes to steel, kill and destroy. And they also forget to take ownership of their own choices that may have led to a certain negative outcome. So THANKS for clearing that one up, Sista!! ;)

God bless you! <><
~Tanya

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

Similar things have happened to me when I've chosen the wide gate over the narrow. He rewards our obediance.

~ Wendy