Wednesday, January 6, 2010

grace for the moment

"Let us, then, feel very sure that we can come
before God's throne where there is grace.
There we can receive mercy and grace
to help us when we need it."

I've shared before that I love all things Max Lucado. His Grace for the Moment Daily Bible is no exception.

Several of my friends have committed to reading the Bible through in 2010. Most of them are following Wendy Pope's journey and blog. While I really enjoy the New Living Translation they are using, I hesitated to order mine because I was hoping for something different.

And then I found Max's Daily Bible. Rather than follow the chronological order of the Bible, this format allows for reading a section of the Old Testament (in order), the Book of Psalms, Proverbs and the New Testament. For example, on January 1st, we read:
  • Genesis 1:1-2:25
  • Psalm 1:1-6
  • Proverbs 1:1-7
  • Matthew 1:1-25
It's still in chronological order and still allows me to read through the entire Bible in one year, it just adds a greater variety.

An added benefit of this version is that each day includes an excerpt from one of Max Lucado's books. Aside from reading directly from God's Word, I have never had an author leave me quite so breathless and craving more.

I also like that this Bible is in paperback format and not too large. (Although I admit that the words are a little smaller than I'd prefer.) Thomas Nelson is also coming out with a "LeatherSoft" version of this in a couple of weeks.

This isn't one of the books that I'm reviewing for Thomas Nelson, although I do give it two thumbs up. I'm so excited to see what God will teach me through His Word this year.

If you're not already doing so, I would love to have you join me in my year of reading. It's not too late. And really, it only takes about 15 minutes a day. It's definitely worth the investment of my time and focus. (For added resources and instruction, I encourage you to check out Wendy Pope's blog.)

God's Word is alive and active. Through it, He has granted me wisdom and new life. Every single moment I spend reading and learning changes me forever.

On a side-note, today is Christmas in Ethiopia! Sadly, we learned that Mesfin has not yet been transferred to the Thomas Center as he should have been back on the 15th. (It's a transition house where they will prepare him for life here in America.)

We sent a care package and Christmas card with a recorded message telling him that we love him. He'll receive our gift when he finally arrives at the center. We would greatly appreciate your continued prayers during these final weeks while he is still waiting for us to bring him home.

Please pray for Mesfin's health, safety, well-being and heart. It's been a painfully long wait and we know his hope is starting to wane. Please pray that He will know God's love and peace, and that he trust that we are coming! THANK YOU, Friend!

I pray you are having a GREAT week and that you know how very, very much God loves you. Keep pressing into Him and keep LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Thankful for God's grace,

5 comments:

Blog Owner said...

So sorry to hear this, Amy. What does this mean, if anything? This doesn't interfere with his homecoming, does it?
Carla

~Heart 2 Home~ said...

So sorry Amy! I know how your Mama heart must be aching for Mesfin. What a blessing that we can pray for him and know that God is watching over him, loves him and will comfort him. I will certainly be praying for your sweet boy and for you! May the days in between go by quickly!!

TanyaLea said...

Amy,
we are absolutely going to be praying over and for Mesfin and your family. do keep us posted!

and I SO need that Max Bible you have listed. Sounds like a great format. I'm missing and yearning more time with God and more strict devoted time alone in His Word. I'm going past the Christian bookstore this week, so I'll be looking this one up.


God bless!
~ Tanya

Charris said...

I too have decided to read the bible all the way through in 2010. I am using the online bible reading plans at youversion.com, which is great because you can also download the software to your phone. Thanks to your post I am now considering the Max Lucado bible you mention. He does usually always have good material. I also want to invite you to check out my blog: http://Inspirewithcharris.blogspot.com

Joy Portis said...

Just wanted you to know I have been praying for you this morning and sweet Mesfin! I remember the pain of the wait and the worry in a mom's heart ho loves her child and wants him HOME under her care! Praying for peace in your heart and you continue to wait on God's timing! You are such an inspiration and your faith is en encouragement to many!

Blessings and prayers my sweet friend!
Love
Joy