Wednesday, January 20, 2010

counting the days

"Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the skies."
Psalm 36:5 (NIV)

The last few weeks have been a wild ride, to say the least. Through it all, God has greatly blessed us with His grace and faithfulness.

On New Year's eve we learned that Mesfin had not yet been transferred to the transition home as planned. (Once children in ET pass court, our agency moves them to their care center to begin preparing them for life in the United States.) We spent the next several weeks waiting for the move to happen.

Last Tuesday, our agency called to discuss the problem at hand. First of all, I love our agency. They have been so amazing over this past year and have remained steadfast and professional despite all of the unexpected challenges that international adoptions bring. They had done everything they could to make the move happen, but were being stalled by distance and cultural differences.

While I am still trying to understand the details, the short story is that the orphanage director was refusing to relinquish our son. Talk about feeling helpless. Thankfully, our agency's director made the decision to fly to Addis Ababa over the weekend to resolve the problem.

Depending upon the outcome, Geoff and I agreed that he would fly a couple of weeks early to be with Mesfin until I could join them. Needless to say, being halfway across the world when your child is in need is a really, really awful feeling.

I honestly don't know what I would have done without my faith in God and His goodness.

We prayed and waited. And prayed a lot more. Our incredible friends supported us greatly through prayer and fasting. (Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!!)

In the midst of receiving this devastating phone call, we received an offer on our house. Talk about a crazy week. We were able to come to an agreement with the buyers and then spent the entire weekend shopping with our fabulous realtor.

Our prayers were answered at 2am Saturday night when our telephone rang. It was MESFIN!!! (We had asked our agency if they could please arrange a telephone conversation with him as soon as they were able to confirm his well-being.) I still tear up thinking about that priceless moment that I "met" my new son for the first time.

Through the help of our agency director and a translator we had a short but very sweet conversation.

Mesfin said, "Hello Mommy. Hello Mama. Come get me. (sigh)" He told us he was where he was supposed to be and then added, "I'm cute." (He's really good at repeating words and phrases in English. His accent is way too precious.)

Since our other kids were sleeping, I was able to record our conversation. They have been extremely worried about their brother and were beyond ecstatic to know that he was safe.

Lisa sent the above photo via her cell phone to calm my mother's heart. She says he's really small and is missing one of his permanent front teeth. We're not sure what happened and while I'm thankful that he appears to be doing well. However, my mind won't fully rest until he is safely in our own care. We're almost there...

The next day, God answered one of our other prayers. A new house that went above and beyond our wish list. I have to say, though, as happy as we are to be able to move to a bigger house for our ever-growing family--a house is just a house.

The past few weeks have really cemented the fact that the material things of this world really don't matter. It's serving and loving our amazing God and the beautiful children and friends He has graciously filled our lives with.

Geoff and I were able to fully surrender our plans to the Lord and trust Him with the outcome. He answered in ways we never expected and has continued to work out not only the big, but little details along the way. He is SO good!!!

But, I'll have to save that story for another day. For now, we're thrilled to be packing for our long awaited trip to finally bring our precious son HOME. (And then soon after, we'll pack up our house and move all six of us to a new home.)

God is so faithful. He has brought our family through so many challenging times.

Friend, I trust that whatever you are going through in your own life that God will meet each and every one of your needs as well. Sometimes He calls us to wait for His answer to our prayers, but He will never, ever leave us without His love and grace.

In Him, through Him and for Him, I am LIVING A BLESSED LIFE! I pray you are as well.

With JOY,

AmyJo

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

We're surrounded by boxes here after having just moved back to CO a couple weeks ago, and I'm taking a break to check in with some friends. I've missed you! :) Jesus really speaks to me through you...

And boy, have you had a whole lot going on! You will be in my prayers and Praise the Lord you got to speak with Mesfin! I can only imagine what a wonderful sound that must have been to hear his precious voice!

Amy said...

Amy!!

I am so encouraged by your post. The waiting can just be agony, can't it?? But God is so faithful. Your testimony of God's movement on Mesfin's behalf gives me great hope as we come up on our court date for "Little T" in Ethiopia. His papa has to travel to Addis and has no means. I just continue to trust that God is orchestrating behind the scenes to bring our little one home. I can't wait until you meet Mesfin face to face! What a blog post that will be!! Praying for you and your family!! Amy

TanyaLea said...

OH Amy Jo!! This was a tear-jerker. I about lost it when I read about the phone call from Mesfin! I can only imagine what your momma-heart was feeling!?! He IS cute...SO cute! I love that he told you so himself...THAT in itself is CUTE!!!!

And your faith is such and encourager to me. I am blessed EVERY time I stop by for a visit. Despite your own storms, you continue to encourage and lift up others...such a servant's heart you have.

I am SO excited for your family and can't wait until you can travel to bring Mesfin home. I am also glad that God worked out all the house buying/selling issues, so that you didn't have that lingering while you are gone. God is GOOD!...He is so faithful and He cares about the details, too! That's what our Father is all about! <><

Congrats and God bless!

love, Tanya

Lisa said...

Oh dear Amy,
How your heart must have hurt when you heard this. Praying your dear son is in your arms soon.

rita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

Oh my goodness, what a wild and turbulent ride for you...even with the home offer!

How sweet--that phone call, "Come get me" and "I'm cute." That got to me.

May God bless this road ahead for you.
~ Wendy

Andrea said...

Praising and Praying with you! God is good! How wonderful that you were able to speak to Mesfin! What a joy! Can't wait to read good news! ;o)

Becky Ryder said...

Praising God with you! Awesome news and I will continue to pray for you:) He is definitely "cute" and smart too!