Monday, December 14, 2009

round three!

"But I keep praying to you, Lord,
hoping this time you will show me favor.
In your unfailing love, O God,
answer my prayer with
your sure salvation."
Psalm 69:13 (NLT)

It's funny, because I thought God taught me patience with our first adoption process. Waiting for Sara seemed to take forever! I think our wait for Luke M. has been more difficult because we fell in love with him a whole year ago.

We received another DVD of our sweet boy this week. It was only about five seconds long, but it was still fun to see his sweet face and briefly hear his voice. Our friend and orphanage direction said that while he is doing well, he seems to "have a mind of his own" and has been causing mischief. Oh my.

We're not surprised by this update. All children need parents to love them and set healthy boundaries. Luke has been on his own for close to two years. I know that while the wait has been difficult for us, it's been excruciating for him.

While I most definitely cherish your prayers for our family and the challenges we may face in the future, I also share this on behalf of the other 147 million orphans worldwide. Perhaps you have been contemplating doing something on behalf of one of those orphans.

Maybe you sponsor a child, but haven't written them in awhile. (Note to self: send a care package to Tengetile in Swaziland, Joseph in Uganda and Aubrey in China!!!)

Maybe you want to sponsor a child, but haven't found the time to do so. (Note to self: take next steps on sponsoring an Ethiopian widow.)

Maybe your family has been talking about adoption, but you're not sure if it's really God's will. (Note to self: continue praying for families looking into adoption.)

Or, maybe you are a family like us who is patiently (OK, maybe not-so-patiently!) waiting to bring your child home and need something to do during the l-o-n-g wait. (Note to self: be persistent in encouraging and praying for families in-process.)

As passionate as I am about adoption and caring for widows and orphans, sometimes my motivation gets derailed by apathy, procrastination, selfishness or just pure laziness.

As I try to wrap my heart and mind around the needs my new son will bring with him, I remember that he is only one of 147 million orphans. The need is great and they never end.

Now is not the time to get lazy. Now is the time to put my words into actions and do something to make a difference. To reach out to a child in need and be a blessing.

Tonight is our third court date. Our agency has communicated that everything appears to be in order and we should pass this time around. (Yay!) If all goes well, we should be traveling in early 2010.

As excited as I am, I know our trip will be emotionally difficult. We'll be experiencing poverty in a way we can only imagine through the photos we've seen and stories we've read. So often, my flesh gets tired and am my heart overwhelmed.

I'm thankful that when God gives me a burden, He also gives me His grace and strength. He's not expecting me to do anything on my own. He is, however, waiting for me to step back up to the plate and do those things He has already placed upon my heart.

As I think of how long Luke has waited and the effect it's had on him, I'm inspired to make a bigger difference in the lives of orphans.

Today I did a little Christmas shopping online. There are so many opportunities to shop for a cause. Below are some of my favorites:


There are lots and lots of fun opportunities for us to make a difference in the world. Of course, some of the things God calls me to do require more than my credit card...

Friend, today I pray that God would continue to give us His heart for others, especially those in need. And, that we receive the burden not as an obligation, but as a passion fueled by His amazing love and joy!

Thank you, again, for continuing to pray Luke home with us. Your love and support are such a priceless gift. We are eternally thankful for each and every one of you and pray God's sweet and abundant blessings upon you and your family.

Waiting expectantly and LIVING A BLESSED LIFE for His glory!

With JOY and thanks,

3 comments:

Kat said...

Praying for your court date to go AWESOME!!!!

Christy. said...

Praying your court date is successful and you can go and bring home your son!!

You can pray for us as we continue to wait!! It's hard! And our agency is closing on Friday until January 4, GRRR!!

Can't wait to hear that your son is ready for you to go and pick him up!!

momma2many said...

Just minutes before receiving your update I was praying for your family and for Luke M. Praying that all will go well in Court and that quickly, he will be with his family that will love and cherish him forever. Soon..very soon he will be in your arms and the Lord Himself will GRIN with such absolute delight! I see Him even now, smiling upon you sweet child. {{HUGS}} Regina