Thursday, December 17, 2009

meeting Mesfin

"Come to me all who are
weary and burdened
and I will give you rest."
Jesus of Nazareth
Matthew 11:28 (NIV)

This is the photo that captured our hearts a little less than a year ago. Liam, actually, was the first to recognize his brother from half-way across the world.

"That little boy, with the puffy hair, that's my brother!"

His words were spoken with both sincerity and deep conviction. I felt myself start to cry and laugh at the same time.

Puffy hair? Um, big curls, maybe?

I had noticed his gorgeous hair. But honestly, it was his big, brown, teddy-bear eyes that pulled me in.

My mother's heart immediately recognized his fear and bewilderment, but, I also saw something else. A glimmer of hope.

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls."
v. 29

When we called Michelle to inquire about this precious boy, she shared her special connection to him. She wrote about her heart-wrenching experience in her ministry's newsletter. (See: "Facing the Lion: The Ethiopian Famine")

Over the past year, we have received updated photos of our precious son, and watched him grow from a frightened little boy to a now energetic eight-year-old.

We have been assured that he is doing well, but that he really needs to be home with his family and have parents.

We've completed each of the necessary steps as quickly as possible, but adoption takes time and the process has been painfully slow. Especially for Mesfin.

As our family both celebrates the gift of a new son and brother, we are also cognizant that there are sure to be challenges ahead. For all of us.

But, God is good and we completely trust His plans for our family. We have already experienced the incredible miracle of adoption with Sara. It's absolutely indescribable. The best thing we have ever done. Sure, it's been hard, but it's been so worth the struggles.

We are excited, but truthfully, a little bit apprehensive. As I'm sure Mesfin is. (If not a lot apprehensive!)

My faith rests in the words of Jesus found in Matthew 11. His yoke is easy and his burden is light. I've experienced that over, and over, and over in my life so far. I will cling to that promise as I prepare myself for the incredible adventure ahead.

I am the proud Mama of four beautiful, loving, intelligent, creative and amazing children. This brings tears to my eyes and joy to my heart.

My God is so good and His blessings leave me humbled to the core.

Trust His love for you, my Friend. It is better than anything this world has to offer.

He loves you with a fierce devotion and will never leave you abandoned and alone. His love and life claim each of us as His very own adopted children and heirs.

He is the reason for my joy and in Him, I am LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!
Sweet blessings & JOY,

5 comments:

Kat said...

God's blessings abound. I have seen Him so active and moving and rejoice to watch Him expand your family!

TanyaLea said...

Amy Jo ~ you are such an incredible blessing to me. You have a true gift of encouragement, and that verse from Matt.11 was just what I needed to be reminded of today! Thank you for sharing your heart and love for the Lord so openly and for allowing us to follow along on your personal journey to your son! May you have a very Merry Christmas and God bless! <><

love,
Tanya

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

You glow! What a beautiful picture and write up about your child. You make me think of the things God might actually say/think about me.
~ Wendy

Football & Fried Rice said...

Oh, Amy Jo - your words have touched me once again.

of course, it isn't easy - nothing worth it ever is.

of course there was a battle; satan always fights when God stands to win another one for His Kingdom.

Of course Mesfin will be covered by God's peace and love and the prayers of so many waiting to see him grow at HOME.

Becky Ryder said...

He is very handsome! I agree, his eyes are awesome:) I couldn't wait to get back and check to see the progress on going to get M. Almost there.

We learned a bunch about how to fully trust in God. You are doing great! We felt like failures at times but God never makes us feel that way. Hang in there! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!