Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Blind Side

"I've never had one of these before." (Michael Oher)
"What? A room to yourself?" (Leigh Anne Tuohy)
"A bed." (Michael Oher)


I'm so grateful for the impact the Chapman family has made on my family. It was through their passion for adoption that my family has been blessed beyond words.

Steven just posted a video on Show Hope's blog about the new movie The Blind Side. If you haven't seen the preview yet, I encourage you to hop over and check it out. The movie premiers tomorrow night and I can't wait to be able to see it for myself.

Last night, I spent some time buying some essential items for our new son, Luke M. Many adoptive parents can tell you how challenging the homestudy, paperwork and time spent waiting can be. And they're right. It's not an enjoyable process. But, when it's finally time to shop and prepare your home for your new child, those "labor pains" quickly fade.

Aside from finally having your child safely in your arms, being able to actually start doing things on their behalf is a really good feeling.

"M" is an 8 year old boy,who, aside from a few trinkets and the clothing upon his back, owns nothing. Not that things matter when his daily concerns are food, clean water, shelter and staying healthy. It's something most of us take for granted here in the land of plenty. I know I do.

Don't get me wrong, more than the things we can provide for him, I'm excited to pour love into his heart and feed him good, healthy meals. I'm thankful that we have a great pediatrician and dentist to help care for any medical needs he may have.

In the meantime, though, I'm thrilled to be able to do a little shopping. And so, last night, as I picked out a booster seat for the car, a toothbrush, toothpaste, a hair pick (how fun is that?!?), special hair product for his big curls, gloves (can't wait to introduce him to snow!) a hat, and prayed that the clothing sizes I chose will fit, I couldn't help but smile and tear up. It's so nice to be able to do something tangible to start preparing for our new son.

We're almost there. The culmination of many prayers (thank you!), appointments, paperwork and patience will hopefully come to fruition on Monday evening while those of us in the US are sleeping. Oh, how I pray that his uncle is able to make the long trip to Addis Abbaba, and, that all of M's paperwork is in order so that we can pass court.

Please keep praying with us, Friend. And, if you've shared your prayer request with me, know that I've got you covered as well!

Adoption truly is a miracle, and because my Heavenly Father adopted me into His family, I am LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Sweet blessings & love,

4 comments:

Christy. said...

I will be praying for you on Monday night.

We are so excited about this new movie. I am hoping to surprise my hubby with a date to see the movie on Monday night...

Jennifer said...

Will be praying for you Amy. How exciting! Praise God for all He has done and continues to do!

Thanks for sharing the movie. I hadn't heard of it...

Blog Owner said...

I am doing the same thing, Amy! So much fun, isn't it. My husband is so cute, and he keeps telling everyone I'm nesting. I guess we are.
Carla

Dawn said...

I am sooooo praying for you sister!!!!! ;-)
Can't wait Can't wait for the big announcement that all passed!!! Love you all!!!!
Luke will be home soon...
DD