Monday, October 5, 2009

redemption

"He redeemed my soul from going down to the pit,
and I will live to enjoy the light."
Job 33:28 (NIV)

The other night, my family went for a walk after dinner. The moon was gorgeous! I asked Geoff to take a picture for me. Unfortunately, I had only brought our pocket camera along, which doesn't do the best at zooming in for a close-up. But he tried.

After seeing the photo preview, I asked him to try again. Although Geoff captured a good shot of the moon, all of the beautiful colors of the sky were missing.

This time, I asked him to not worry about the rooftops and trees. The second photo is the view I was hoping to capture. There's a difference, isn't there?
I was reminded of my favorite line in a Kristen Mueller song.

"Redemption is so much better than perfection."

It's a powerful truth that God has been teaching me about lately. It's crazy how many years I've been striving to be perfect. But, you see, the reality is that perfection is a lonely place.

Perfection says that I don't need anyone, especially God. I can do it on my own.

Perfection sets me up to fail. Every time. Even if my project succeeds, I fail, because I have sinned. Perfection sets me up to be "god" of my own life.

Perfection says that what my Savior did on the cross just wasn't enough for me. I can do better. Right? No. Definitely not.

Even speaking that one grieves my heart. But, the sad reality is that in seeking to act and live perfectly, I've hurt not only myself, but my Creator.

Thankfully, over the years, I've been able to let Him in, bit by bit, a little more each day.

Trust takes time to build. It's a process. Thankfully, God is patient and continues to seek after me even when I'm trying to run the other direction.

God has a long track record of redeeming my mistakes, sins, wounds and brokeness into amazing and beautiful things.

His ways are so much better than my own.

And so, while I may make a million and one mistakes, today I am laying down my own will and choosing His. Today, I am laying down my desire to be perfect and simply to surrender to Him.

Today, I am leaving behind me all of the striving and hardwork and taking His yoke up me. Because, as Jesus said, it is easy and oh-so-light.

"Redemption is so much better than perfection." For this reason, I am LIVING A BLESSED LIFE.

All it takes is surrender and allowing ourselves to see ourselves and our lives through His love.

Oh, how I pray you are able to see your beautiful self and know His great love for you, my Friend! You are amazing and wonderful and created for His glory.

Isn't He amazing?!?

2 comments:

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

Strong message. Every time I tried for perfect things came out super sloppy, so I learned awhile back, I'm no good at perfect.
But being redeemed. I'm good at that.
~ Wendy

Anne L.B. said...

Perfection says that I don't need anyone, especially God.

Ouch! God's been working perfectionism out of me for a while. I suspect it's not entirely gone. Thanks for the reminder to value redemption above perfection. Heaven's coming!