Friday, October 2, 2009

my barometer

"As a face is reflected in water,
so the heart reflects the real person."
Proverbs 27:19 (NLT)

I realized this week that God has given me an unusual gift in an unexpected person. She's four-years old and her name is Sara. My Sweet Sara.

It turns out that in addition to being my precious daughter, Sara is also my spiritual and emotional barometer! Who would have thought?!?

Whenever I'm struggling, Sara's behavior reflects it. She starts getting into things she shouldn't and pressing her siblings buttons (and mine!)

One day she wrote a message using big, plastic magnetic letters on the stairs for me. It read, "Mom, have some peace, joy and love." (I know, she's only four. Seriously, it's like God has secret meetings with her on how to teach and guide me!)

One day she said, "Mom, I just need you to be patient and kind with me."

Why? Because I wasn't being patient and kind.

Thankfully, Sara is also reflecting back to me days when I actually get it right!

On Wednesday evening, we went shopping on our "date" night to buy her a new pair of slippers.

As I pushed her through the store, she said, "Mom, I have something to tell you. It's not mad, sad or mean. It's good. My heart is EXPLODING—with LOVE!!!"

Oh my.

This, my Friend, is what God's healing power and love are all about. Sara has been through so much for such a little girl.

God has done a deep work in her heart and in our relationship as we continue to find our way as mother and daughter. It has been far from easy, but it has been oh-so-blessed.

As I'm learning more about myself and areas I need healing, God is using Sara to reflect back to me where I'm at spiritually. Too often, I allow my emotions to run my day. When I do so, I'm a wreck when it comes to mothering.

Thankfully, I am followed around by a little mirror. She helps me to quickly see when I need a serious attitude adjustment by seeking the Lord in prayer.

Sara doesn't pull any punches. And, honestly, on my off days, it's not easy to see my flaws.

Thankfully, it's God's Spirit that speaks through my little one. Instead of crushing condemnation, He allows me to hear His gentle voice, along with the conviction His grace and love bring.

Chances are, my Friend, that I'm not the only one living with a walking, talking barometer!

God has a way of using others in our lives to speak His truth to us. Granted, we may not always like what we hear. The key, however, is to push past the initial feelings of resentment and frustration that so easily rise up within our flesh.

It's then that God enables us see how those challenging relationships are carefully crafted gifts given to us for our own good.

God desires for us to reach our fullest potential through His strength, power and glory. The process is not easy, nor is it always enjoyable, but the blessings that result are priceless.

Keep pressing into Him, my Friend. He loves you and has good things planned for you.

In Him and through Him we are LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

My heart's exploding with His love,
Amy Jo

7 comments:

sara said...

Don't I know it!! I am clinging to the Hope I have in Him and the wonderful things He has planned for ME (; Amen!!!! In the meantime, I am really trying to live as a reflection of His Son. And man, is it hard! And overwhelming. And as you said, not always enjoyable!

Love the Word God is sending you through Sara! She is such a gift from him!

ellie said...

I love your writing - you are talented at recognizing the lessons God is teaching and then sharing them through the written word. I f ind that my children are all barometers of me in different ways - and it is a blessing (though not always a fun one!)

hugs :)

Anne L.B. said...

Thank you for this.

You are so blessed.

Mom Of Many said...

What a treasure you have!! Such insight and prophetic giftings - don't you just love it? God obviously has great things in store for this precious little one - I can't wait to watch it unfold!! xo

Chantelle said...

So true, Amy Jo, and yes I do have a 'barometer' in my house as well... in the form of a sensitive hearted 8 year old daughter. :)

mommy24treasures said...

I have a little barometer of my own and I can totally relate to this post.

strandfam said...

Oh Amy, how I thank Jesus for His work in your life and for your beautiful beautiful Sara!!! What a gift she is! LOVE LOVE the photo of her!! Thanks for being so real transparent and for sharing your heart! Love you!