Thursday, October 15, 2009

you just never know

"Do not boast about tomorrow,
for you do not know what a day may bring forth."
Proverbs 27:1 (NIV)

Husband with an injured thumb. Son with cold. Migraine. Heating systems that blow cold air. Oldest daughter with flu. Sore throat. Five missed events. Back out of alignment. Daughter hiding brother's school books.

And that, my Friend, just about sums up my last seven days. (Just in case you were wondering why my posts have been sporadic. Sorry.) :-(

Oh, and blue dogs that are apparently orange, as I read on my family room floor this afternoon. :-) (We definitely needed that moment of laughter!)

Seriously, sometimes life is just downright trying. Weeks like these are exactly the reason why Solomon wisely advised his son not boast about tomorrow. Plan as we might, we truly have no control over what does and doesn't happen in our lives.

I find it interesting that Jesus took His advice a step further in Matthew 6:34: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

It can be incredibly disappointing to have to miss out on life happening around us. It stinks to have to stay home and be sick. It can be frustrating to deal with never-ending discipline problems. Add them all together, and you've got one exhausted mom!

The key, I've found, is once again surrender. Sure, I can make my plans for tomorrow. Most often, they will come to fruition. However, life happens.

When I allow my emotions to drive my day—especially days that completely wear me out—I'm going to be miserable.

There's a delicate balance that requires having hope for tomorrow, while also acknowledging that Jesus told us that we will experience trials and struggles in this world. I want to be realistic about what He told us, while also believing God's promise to bless, protect and provide for myself and my family.

And so, when I'm feeling completely and utterly undone, I'm choosing to remember that Jesus never promised me a walk in the park. I'm also trusting that God promised to never leave me, nor forsake me.

"But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love;
for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble."
Psalm 59:16 (NIV)

One of the things I love most about God is that His answers are both creative and personal. Some days, He brings deliverance, while on other days He gives us perseverance.

Friend, God knows exactly what we need on any given day. We just need to remember to call out to Him for help. He will always answer.

Whatever you need today, I trust that God will not only meet your needs, but also shower you abundantly with His love and peace.

Keep pressing into Him and keep LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Still pondering the colorful dog,

5 comments:

Anne L.B. said...

You may have already seen it, and I hope I'm not being obnoxious to put in a link, but this sounds so much like what I was writing a couple of days ago, By Day or By Night. Funny how the Lord can be speaking the same thing to different people, LOL. I love you!

Chantelle said...

Oh AmyJo, I needed THIS today. It's my only child syndrome that makes me think the Holy Spirit led you to write it Just For ME too! ;) Seriously though, thank you for the time you take to sit at the computer and share what He lays on your heart. You bless us.

TanyaLea said...

Amen! I'm with Anne where she said, "Isn't it funny how the Lord can be speaking the same thing to different people?!" So true! It happens all the time with my mom and I, like God whispers the same things on our hearts and we are in completely different places. I love the way He works!! <><

Blessings,
~Tanya

mommy24treasures said...

Amen Amy...
great post.

Amy Jo said...

Anne - I subscribe to your blog, but am behind on reading. Thanks for posting your link so I can make sure and read it! YES, I love it when God speaks the same thing to more than one of us...definitely gets my attention! :-) Hugs, Friend! Amy