Tuesday, October 20, 2009

in sickness & in health

"Think about the things of heaven,
not the things of earth."
Colossians 3:2 (NLT)

My day started out at 2:30 this morning after all of three hours sleep. Once the coughing fit starts, it's hard to stop.

Grabbed my pillows, quilt, Tylenol and cough medicine and made my way downstairs to the couch. Geoff had to wake up early for work and I was hoping to let him get some sleep—and stay healthy. Only I forgot to close our bedroom door. :-(

Five-thirty rolled around and I found myself sitting in the bathroom inhaling steam until the hot water ran out.

An hour-and-half later, I was on the phone to my doctor's office. Thankfully, they were able to get me in—as long as I agreed to don a little blue mask.

This little piggie went to the doctor...this little piggie shoulda stayed home.

An hour in the car, trying to talk three kiddos (two sick, one barely hangin' on to healthy) into wearing blue masks along with me while the other non-feverish patients looked on in terror, was really not my idea of fun.

After all of the effort to get there, endure the unpleasant looks we got, (as well as my seething eleven-year old who was beside herself for having to wear the mask,) it turns out my doctor's office has opted not to test for different strains of flu. They are treating all patients symptomatically and hoping for the best. (Me too!)

From the little piggies or not, I have never felt so miserable. Whatever 'this' is that we've got, it's awful.

And yet, as I sat with my head in the shower this morning trying to clear my airway, I was reminded of the above verse from Colossians—in sickness, and in health, I want to think of things of Heaven.

One day, all of the sickness, struggles and pain will be behind us. I know it. I believe it. I'm counting on it.

Until then, I'm thankful that I have hot water, meds to treat me symptomatically, my online friends who commiserate with me and pray for my family (thanks, Ladies!) and a husband (my HERO!) who hurries through his afternoon meetings to pick up my prescription, come home early, make dinner and put the kids to bed!

It's just the flu and we will recover. So many of my brothers and sisters around the world are starving and dying as I type this. Oh, how I wish I could share my hot water and soft tissue with them.

Friend, I pray you are staying healthy. If not, I pray that God blesses you with family or friends to take good care of you!

On earth and in Heaven, in sickness and in health, I am thankful to be LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Stay healthy, my Friends!

4 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

I pray right now for your speedy recovery. May He bless your food and water and take all sickness away from thee...
LovE Connie

Becky Ryder said...

Praying for you all!!! Since the majority of you are not feeling well, I guess you can all cuddle up on the couch together:)

Chantelle said...

Oh Amy! FEEL BETTER FAST!!! Praying for a quick quick quick recovery for you and yours!! ((((hug))))

Amy Jo said...

Thanks, Beautiful Ladies!!! You're the best! :-) Sending germ-free hugs to each of you, Amy