Thursday, September 17, 2009

truth and media?

"But you, O God, do see trouble and grief;
you consider it to take it in hand.
The victim commits himself to you;
you are the helper of the fatherless."

Sara's picture says it all and mirrors my own face today.

I'm angry. I'm frustrated. My heart hurts. I am so disappointed in man and media. I'm frustrated with the selfishness that seeks to make a dollar and pride that seeks fame—all at the expense of children in need and families who desire to step up to the plate and be a part of the solution.

This week a story was released to the world that totally rocked the adoption world. It cut deep to the core, for many reasons.

The first was that it instilled fear and doubt in the hearts of pre-adoptive parents who are stepping out in faith in response to God's calling on their hearts.

The result? Well, aside from the obvious distress the story caused, it could quite possibly prevent waiting children from ever having the opportunity to be loved and cared for by a family.

That, of course, is if the "news" story was based upon fact. It wasn't. The station that ran the story did not research their facts. What ran on a well-respected network should have been the cover story for the N*tional Enquir*r. Seriously.

What broke my heart the most, however, is that a woman whom I hold great respect for was targeted in the story. They used portions of a DVD she made on behalf of children in need, at the request of their government, and put together quite a little "story."

This is a woman who has invested her life into caring for widows and orphans. She is an adoptive mother herself and has such a beautiful heart. She's not in it for the glory, the money or the fame. She is living a life of sacrifice because she knows it's only by God's grace that she herself is not a woman dying of AIDS, starving and forced to surrender her children to adoption.

The story was so horrific and left all who watched it sick to their stomachs. I refuse to waste any time discussing the details of the story. I will say, however, that both the woman and adoption agency have responded to the story sharing the truth. Wouldn't you know, the truth is very different than what was reported on the news. Sigh.

One of the things that saddened me the most was the result within the Christian adoption world. I know the story seemed 100% believable, and yet, as Christians, I would hope that we would first seek to understand. And, to remember that the enemy's tactic is to surround his lies with a tiny bit of truth in order to make them believable.

I think it's always important to consider how we would feel if the story had been about us? How would we want others to respond? What impact could a story like this have on our hearts, our families, or ministries?

And more importantly, how would Jesus respond? Because, really, our goal is to model ourselves after Him. I believe that He would first look at our character and heart. If the answer still isn't obvious to us, we can then look to His words in Scripture for advice.

Jesus gave us the Golden Rule. He lived out the Golden Rule. That's a great place to start.

Don't get me wrong. I have been on the side of believing everything I hear. I have judged without knowing and in turn have been found guilty myself. It's an awful place to be. And there are always consequences. We always reap what we sow.

Honestly, if I didn't personally know the person targeted in this news story, I too would have believed the story to be true. Sadly, I probably would have responded the same way.

That sad thing, however, is that this wasn't just a situation of misunderstanding. There will be consequences for judgements made, harsh words spoken and lies told. The most vulnerable of all will be affected. And that truly stinks.

Sadly, the story was apparently broadcast for their benefit. I can't for the life of me figure out how they could possibly benefit from a story such as this.

As I was praying about the situation today, God reminded me of how often I have treated Him the same way. When troubles have come my way and I didn't feel Him responding in the way I wanted Him to, I doubted His character. I made judgements. I believed the worst about Him. And that, my Friend, really stinks.

One of the lessons I've learned through all of this is how important it is to first seek God's wisdom in all things. It's important to stop, pray and then respond. Reacting is never a good thing. For myself, reacting always gets me into a world of trouble.

On the days when I forget to seek God's wisdom and am on the other side of reacting? Well, I'm learning to take responsibility for my mistakes and seek God's forgiveness. And the forgiveness of those I have hurt with my actions or words.

We're all learning. We're all human. Thankfully, God is slow to anger and abounds in love. Oh, how I long to be more like Him!

May you, my Friend, be blessed this week with eyes to see Him and a heart that knows Him. Oh, how He loves you.

Keep LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Thankful, again, for His grace,

3 comments:

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

I'm sorry your heart was heart by this story. I haven't tapped into the news much this week, so I am not quite sure what it is you write about, but I hope to encourage you by writing that God knows the hearts of man.

We are held accountable for our actions.
~ Wendy

Jennifer said...

Praying that God will use this mess to HIS glory.

I too, especially these late few months, have been doing way too much reacting and not nearly enough stopping, praying and responding. And especially too much doubting the plans of my Heavenly Father. Thank you for your wise words and proper perspective.

Christy. said...

Oh that story made me sick! And yes, it caused me to question what God was calling us to do. Would our son really be an orphan, were we doing the right thing in taking him out of his born country, etc....

But, I know that God only calls us to do the things He will equip us to do and we will cling to that!