Wednesday, September 9, 2009

school's in!


"Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves,
you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy,
kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
Make allowance for each other’s faults,
and forgive anyone who offends you.
Remember, the Lord forgave you,
so you must forgive others.

Above all, clothe yourselves with love,
which binds us all together in perfect harmony.
And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts.
For as members of one body you are called to live in peace.

And always be thankful.
Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives.
Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives.
Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs
to God with thankful hearts.
And whatever you do or say,
do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks through him to God the Father.
Colossians 3:12—17 (NLT)

A couple of nights ago, two of our children started to argue during dinner time. Geoff looked at me, put down his taco and told me he needed to go grab his Bible.

He then went on to read the above verses from Colossians. He shared that he had read those verses the day before and realized that was the kind of family he desired we be.

Granted, the verses were more than convicting for our two squabbling kiddos, but they hit home for me. As soon as I heard the hurtful words being spoken, I became frustrated and disappointed in their attitudes—again. Hearing God's Word spoken out loud convicted my own heart for it's stinky attitude.

The next day I felt led to read the verses again in my own Bible. Wouldn't you know that I had that very section highlighted. Above it, I had written "Ivey Family Guidelines." Ah, God's Spirit had spoken the very same message to both Geoff and myself, only months a part.

I love how God works. Clearly, He wasn't able to get my attention the first time, so He repeated His message through my husband. I think both Geoff and I appreciated knowing that God was speaking the same message to both of us.

And so, we pray. We ask God to begin doing a deeper work within each of our hearts. We pray that He would help us to truly honor and love each other in our actions and words. We have a long ways to go, but God is faithful!

Our family started our new year of homeschool today. My brain is mush and my children are completely exhausted. It was a hard but good day overall.

Sara started Kindergarten—a year early. Liam's learning struggles from years past seem to be behind him, allowing him to jump back up to the 3rd grade. And Chelsea, she's moving right along and started the 6th grade.

We're not quite sure where "M" will fit into the mix, but look forward to helping him learn English and acclimate to life in the US.

I love watching each of my children grow and learn. They are each so very unique and bring such different gifts to our family. We are so proud of each of our children and thankful for all they teach us.

I pray your week has been full of God's abundant blessings. May He continue to draw you ever closer to Him and shower you with His love, grace, joy and peace. You are loved!

LIVING A BLESSED LIFE and looking forward to the year ahead!

Tired but joyful,



1 comment:

Charlene said...

Thank you! I cannot wait to find a way to display this scripture in our house and discuss it with the kids!

Your kids are just gorgeous. Chelsea is such a beautiful young woman! Sara just cracks me up with her Ms. Priss look, love the short do on her. And Liam is just getting more and more handsome.