Monday, August 17, 2009

worship

"You alone are the LORD. You made the heavens,
even the highest heavens, and all their starry host,
the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them.
You give life to everything,
and the multitudes of heaven worship you."
Nehemiah 9:6 (NIV)

Last week a friend encouraged me with a worship song that helped put my circumstances into perspective. (Thanks, Amy!)

God loves me. He is sovereign. His grace is breathtakingly good.

When life becomes overwhelming or something unexpected happens, my first response is to try to carry the burden upon my own shoulders.

My job, however, is not to stress, strive or worry. My job is to worship the God who created me. The One who holds the universe and all that is contained within it.

"Ezra praised the LORD, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, 'Amen! Amen!' Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground." Nehemiah 8:6 (NIV)

I'm so thankful for my supportive friends who responded to my sadness and encouraged me with God's Word and their prayer. It brought me back to that sweet place of surrender.

I pulled out some worship music that I hadn't listened to in awhile, grabbed a box tissue and lost myself in His glorious presence. He is so good.

There was such simplicity in the songs I found myself singing.

"You poured out all Your blood, You died upon the cross. You are my Saviour who loves me."

What more do I need? What more can I do? He's done it all.

It's amazing how primal worship becomes when we lay our worries and cares at His feet and allow ourselves to revel in His beauty, goodness and love. It truly puts everything into perspective.

The more I worship my Creator, I find that my world and problems become smaller and He becomes magnificently larger.

I find my center again in Jesus. My heart finds its way back to what is most important. Serving Him, worshiping Him, and giving Him all the glory.

When I finally turned off the music and wiped away my tears, my problems were still there. My new perspective didn't make them disappear. Rather, I was able to see them for what they truly are. Opportunities to trust God and allow His will to be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

My heart is at peace for I know the One who loves me and cares for me is leading the way through the storms. He will make a path where none seems to be. He will light my way and keep me safe. He loves me.

He loves you. I think when we are truly able to grasp even just a tiny bit of how great His love for us is, the fear and worry dissipate. All that's left is God and His goodness.

My prayer, Friend, is that you truly know the power of His love for you. May you find the courage to lay your burdens at His feet and lose yourself in worship.

I promise you, life will seem so much more beautiful (and peaceful) when you do.

LIVING A BLESSED LIFE starts in a prostrate position, with hearts upturned to Him and reveling in His goodness.

(UPDATE: Our agency received our son's official referral today. Unfortunately, it's now a year old, is on the previous orphanage's letterhead and apparently needs to be updated. My sweet friend, Melinda, received the same news today. Please keep praying that God will make a way where there seems to be none. A huge and humble THANK YOU on behalf of our families.)

With joy and hope,

Photograph courtesy of Geoffrey D. Ivey

6 comments:

Amy said...

Once again...you are right on time with a message I desperately needed to hear tonight! I'm planning a huge fundraiser for HopeChest for this Friday and am trying to do the balancing act of all that entails and was beginning to get overwhelmed tonight. What a MUCH needed reminder for me - that this is all only ever about HIM. Where is my heart? It must be turned toward HIM - trusting HIM, worshiping HIM, filling myself up with HIM. I feel better already. Thanks for your beautiful, truthful words tonight, Amy. As always, I just love your heart. (BTW...I'm getting to meet one of my blogger friends from Oklahoma City this weekend! Maybe one of these days you and I will get the chance to meet face to face. I would LOVE that!

mommy24treasures said...

oh I do pray our awesome God to whom nothing is impossible makes a way for you a straight path to your son.
You are more than a conquerer. Be of good cheer He has overcome the world.
Love
C

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

Amy Jo, I just love the way you word things. Reading your posts is like stepping outside on a crisp fall day and breathing in the delicious air.

Thinking of you,
~ Wendy

Becky Ryder said...

I've been silent the past few weeks. Getting back into school and the flow of things. Thanks for helping me hang in there!

School has had a rough start with Abby and I find your blog to be a help:) I'm praying for you all and I'm learning to "turn it over to God" as well!

Jennifer said...

AMEN sister!

There is a CD called Psalms put out by Sovereign Grace Music that carried me through a difficult season last year. I was so run down and exhausted and discouraged that about all I could handle was pushing play over and over again on my CD player and letting Christ minister to me through those songs.

All Glory to God!

Andrea said...

Thank you for sharing your heart! Prayers are being lifted that all the right pieces fall into place so that your son can come home!