Tuesday, August 11, 2009

seek Him

"So he got up and went to his father.
But while he was still a long way off,
his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him;
he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him."
Luke 15:20 (NIV)

Of all the stories Jesus told, the Prodigal Son is one of my most favorite. It reminds me of God's unconditional love and leaves me quietly humbled every time I read it.

I have wandered away from God's plan for my life more times than I care to remember. He not only forgives me, but welcomes me back with great joy and celebration. Every. Single. Time.

Recently, however, I listened to a message that revealed a deeper truth within Jesus' story. The teacher pointed out that at the beginning of the story, the younger son went to the father and said 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' (v.12)

After having spent time with the pigs, the son returned home and this time his words were, "Father, make me your servant."

Too often, I turn to God in prayer asking Him to give me what I think I need. Depending upon the situation, God may grant my request. Unfortunately, what I think I need, may not be His best for me.

One of my life verses is Psalm 37:4. "Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of His heart."

After listening to the teaching, I was challenged to change my prayers from "Father give me," to "Father make me."

Instead of seeking God's hand for provision, He desires that we seek His hand in relationship.

When seek Him, all of our needs will be met. There's no need for us to fret or offer up quick reminders to our Creator to take care of us.

God has all of our basic needs covered and He graciously showers us with more. Each and every day.

His blessings are better than anything we could ever imagine. His love truly is better than life.

It is only when we are able to trust God with our list of needs and burdens that our hand is free to warmly embrace His hand.

His love is good. His love is safe. His love is trustworthy. And He loves YOU, my Friend.

Walking through this life, hand in hand with the Creator of the universe? It's not only possible, it's an invitation available to each and every one of us. And, it's the foundation of LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Dropping my list at His feet and reaching up for His hand,

1 comment:

Girly Girl Mommy said...

Oh so true! As I have walked through constant trials this summer I have slowly been learning to turn everything completely over to Him, praying for His will in my life and the ability to be content with whatever He knows is best for me and HIs time frame. Do I still ask for what I think I need, yes. But I am finally at a place where I completely trust in His goodness and ultimate wisdom for my life. I am hand in hand with my creator like I have never been before. My trials are still intense and each day I have to make a concerned efforet to grasp His hand, but I can and do and it is wonderful place to be!
Blessings,
Kelly