Wednesday, August 26, 2009

not an occassional need

"(Moses) said to them,
'Take to heart all the words I have
solemnly declared to you this day,
so that you may command your children
to obey carefully all the words of this law.
They are not just idle words for you
they are your life.
By them you will live long in the land
you are crossing the Jordan to possess.'"
Deuteronomy 32:46—47 (NLT)

I need water on a daily basis in order to live. My body quickly knows when it's thirsty and hasn't had water in awhile. Without pure water, my body will get sick. Without enough water, my body will eventually die. Without any water, my body is certain to die.

My flowers need water on a regular basis. Especially when the sky is blue and the temperature is soaring. Without water, the leaves begin to wither, and the plant will stop producing flowers. Before too long, without adequate water, my plants will be dead.

My day started off on a similar note to yesterday. The bickering between my kids started and before 9 am, I felt defeated. (And yes, two of my three beautiful children were told to go "soyb," twice already today.)

As I surrendered my negative attitudes to the Lord, He began to speak to me about yet another key lesson. My spirit needs His Word daily. Not just to thrive, but simply to survive.

An occasional drink won't cut it.

Hearing His Word through a gifted Bible teacher is good—but my spirit needs pure water, straight from the heart of my Creator.

A quick sip here and there will always be enough to get me by.

However, if I truly to desire to thrive in this life, I will need to drink deeply and drink often.

The thing I love about fresh, cold water is how refreshing it is for my entire body.

The thing that I love about spending quality time reading and studying my Bible, is that it energizes my spirit. (Gulping it down is good for my brain, but does nothing for my spirit.)

When I make the time to really dig into the Scriptures, my spirit truly comes to life.

The Bible puts life—according to God's will—into perspective.

It teaches me how to pattern my life after my Savior's. It encourages me, convicts me and inspires me.

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12 (NIV)

On that note, my Friend, I think it's time for me to take another long drink of His goodness.

I pray that God will increase our thirst for His Word. And, that as we spend time reading and studying the Bible, we will experience His great love for us in a more real and powerful way.

His Word is powerful and enables me to keep LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Sending sweet blessings your way,

4 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

Amen Amy:)
Reminds me of: oh taste and see that the Lord is good!
So often when feeling empty and then filling up on the word I amost feel I actually taste the word taste His love as I fill up my spirit.
My children are going through a season of being corrected and taught to love at all times and blessed are the peacemakers as well.

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

This post reminds me of how I try to substitute other drinks for water. Tea (good spiritual conversations with friends), cranberry juice (leading my small group of girls), etc. but water (His indwelling) comes with intentional TIME WITH HIM, in His word and in prayer.
Thanks for the thoughts,
~ Wendy

Jennifer said...

Oh Amy, how I needed to read these words right now. I too am feeling defeated along with discouraged, overwhelmed, etc. As I was quickly cramming my time with the Lord in this morning I was thinking to myself, "This just isn't enough..." I really need to drink deeply, because like you said, the gulping it down does nothing for my spirit.

Anne L.B. said...

Amy, I've had some particularly tough days lately. Several times I've tried to pray and just couldn't pull my thoughts together without distraction from what was bothering me. I cried out, "Lord, please help me here."

Each time, I sensed Him directing me to His Word. "Just read it." And each time, peace was restored.

Your words today are soothing, like His Spirit's living waters.