Tuesday, August 4, 2009

lessons from Sara

"And all thy children [shall be] taught of Jehovah,
and great shall be the peace of thy children.
Isaiah 54:13 (DT)

A couple of Sunday's ago, my three (stateside) children greeted us in their Sunday school class sportin' these very tall (and smile provoking) hats.

My Pastor's beautiful wife explained that they were 'helmets of salvation.' And, because my kids adore Miss Lisa, all THREE of them agreed to wear them on the way to our car.

Makes you smile, doesn't it? Wouldn't you know that my youngest is a huge fan of Dr. Seuss. Her 'salvation helmet' is a bit Cat in the Hat'ish, isn't it?

The three words on the front of Sara's hat (understanding, hope and self-control), happen to be three of the things she readily relies upon the Lord for in large doses. (As do I!)

Sara needs the people in her life to understand that she gets stressed out very easily. Although she may appear to be extremely outgoing and full of energy, the reality is that she gets easily overwhelmed and struggles with fear.

Like this morning at the dentist. He thought she was absolutely adorable (and she is!) He was impressed with how well she was handling the Novocaine-free filling he was giving her. The dentist had no idea that Sara's little heart was racing as fast as can be. And, he was honored that she asked him if he could be her dad. (All of these are signs that Sara is recovering from an attachment disorder.)

Sara's start in life requires that she would have hope in the Lord. Hope that God is good, that He loves her and that she is safe in His care. Although her birth parents' only choice was to abandon her in the hope that she find a family who could provide for her needs, God did not abandon her.

And, because Sara desperately needs understanding and hope, she also relies upon the Lord to help her with self-control. It sure is hard to make good choices when you're stressed out and overwhelmed.

As I parent my youngest, I find that I too rely upon the Lord for understanding, hope and self-control.

Without the Lord's strength, I struggle greatly with parenting. I need His goodness in me to be the best mom I can be. And, wouldn't you know? I need Him to be the best Amy I can be.

I love that Sara came home from church wearing her adorable hat, because once again, the Lord used my little girl to teach me a new lesson.

What about you, my Friend? If you were to fashion for yourself an adorable 'helmet of salvation," what words would you paste on it? (And, if you're the creative sort, what color would it be?) :-)

Whatever you need, God is able to provide it. The key is that we keep turning to Him to meet our needs and that we rely solely upon Him. (And that we give ourselves grace when we forget to do so.)

As we rely upon the Lord more and more, He equips us with the tools we need to continue LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

May you be blessed in all you do!


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well, I know what color it would be. Glass slipper, a paint color I just found that I'm itching to use in my bedroom. It's a soothing shade of blue.

The words... hmmm... for sure JOY, because I'm leaning on Him for that alot these days. I'm thinking peace and contentment would be good ones for me too right now. I'm really needing to just rest in His peace and be content that we are where He wants us right now, even though it's not what I want. But I know that He knows best and I'm so glad that I can always come back to that.

And that is such a cute picture of your little Sara. What a cutie she is. Inside and out, I'm sure!

Sarah Dawn said...

Oh your little one splashed me today. So thankful to be serving our Jehovah alongside of you.

Blessings from Costa Rica,
Sarah Dawn