Thursday, August 6, 2009

choosing to see the beautiful

"He is the Rock, his works are perfect,
and all his ways are just.
A faithful God who does no wrong,
upright and just is he."
Deuteronomy 32:4 (NIV)

Life is full of pain, frustrations and situations that we would all rather not deal with. And yet, if we force ourselves to stop complaining and look around us, we're bound to find the beautiful.

The Bible tells us that God is in all things. No matter where we go, He is there and He is always working for our good and for His glory.

As I weed through offers to buy our furniture and come in contact with people who are trying to lie, cheat and steal from me, I'm frustrated by people's lack of integrity.

As my family waits hours for a potential buyer who never shows up, I'm frustrated for the time wasted.

As I telephone the car repair shop to request a refund for work done on our vehicle that required twice as much money to fix, I'm frustrated. Our lives were put in danger, our car was out of service for over four weeks and our money was wasted.

As I overhear my children bickering because they want their way and will say and do anything to get it, no matter how hurtful, I'm frustrated.

And then Grace showed up and turned my head and allowed me to see the opportunities before me. Grace showed me that instead of allowing frustration and grumbling to control me, I could choose instead to forgive. (And repent for my judgements and words spoken against those who offended me. Sigh.)

Grace brought us a kind couple to purchase our furniture. From what I can tell, they are servants for the Lord blessing others with their time and energy. It will be a privilege and joy to pass on our bedroom furniture to them.

Grace gave me the words to communicate calmly with the car repair shop. They are willing to refund our money and the dealership was able to repair our vehicle. All's well in our world again. (And as I said before, how blessed are we to have two cars at our disposal? Extremely.)

Grace gave me the ability to see my own areas of sin before I focus on my child's. Compassion is a much better parent than shame. Grace brought peace to our home.

Grace forgave me of my sins so that I might be gracious to others and receive the gifts He has for me.

Grace brought beauty where death threatened to reign. Isn't He amazing and good?

"The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love." Psalm 103:8

It's an every moment, every day, decision. I can choose to wallow in the negative emotions or I can turn to Him, seek His face and choose His will. It's not easy, but oh, is it ever worth it!

Friend, in the good times and the bad, God is always there, laying before us two paths to take, two options to choose from.

May we both choose life and enjoy LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Ever-so-thankful for His grace,

4 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

great post.

Girly Girl Mommy said...

Amy Jo- There are many days when I feel like you are writing just to me. You hit the nail on the head with exactly what I need to be reminded of (I feel like I have a personal mentor!) Why is it so easy to get caught up in the negative? I'm trying to turn to Him and it is a decision moment after moment, but you are so right- it is worth it!
Blessings,
Kelly

Andy and Wendy Ingram said...

Such an incredible post! Thank you so much! It was exactly what God wanted me to hear today. I love how your blogs are so full of God's truth and they encourage me to choose the abundant life and claim the promises He offers me.

Amy, I continue to pray and lift up you and your family as you wait for you son!

Andrea said...

Ah, yet again God has used you to speak to me! Sure needed to hear that! Thank you for being so honest and transparent, and truthful. You are a blessing
Andrea