Wednesday, August 19, 2009

captivated


"The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
The skies display his craftsmanship.
Day after day they continue to speak;
night after night they make him known.
They speak without a sound or word;
their voice is never heard.
Yet their message has gone throughout the earth,
and their words to all the world.
God has made a home in the heavens for the sun.
It bursts forth like a radiant bridegroom after his wedding.
It rejoices like a great athlete eager to run the race.
The sun rises at one end of the heavens
and follows its course to the other end."
Psalm 19:1—6 (NLT)


Our plan was to play on the beach for a few hours, enjoy delicious pizza at our favorite restaurant and then head home. As we walked back to our car, the view of the sun setting gloriously over the ocean stopped us in our tracks.


We were drawn in by the incredible beauty before us. We couldn't help but make our way back down to the beach and watch as the sun slowly make its way towards the horizon.


We weren't the only ones drawn in. One by one, people came out of the stores, restaurants, hotel rooms and houses. Captivated by such a remarkable display of God's creativity and power.


We sat on the sand in quiet awe as a golden glow bathed everything, and everyone, in its path.


A sense of peace and calm settled over the beach as the King of Glory stole away our breath.

I wondered how many of the spectators sitting on the beach knew of God's great love for them.

I admit that at times I struggle to truly believe that the God of this universe loves me. At that moment, however, those doubts had absolutely no control over me. All of my senses were alive to God's greatness and His unbelievably, unconditional love for me and all of creation.

I was reminded of one of my favorite songs by Shawn McDonald, "Captivated.

Below is a video of Shawn performing the song live at a radio station.
Sidebar: Just this evening, God blessed me with yet another gorgeous sunset. This time, however, I was behind the wheel driving home. Wouldn't you know that my husband happened to have this CD in his player? Ahhh...down went all four windows and open went the moon roof. I probably frightened a few cows as I drove through the beautiful farm country singing along LOUD with Shawn McD! :-)




I am so thankful that my family was able to share in such a remarkable experience. To not only bear witness to such a magnificent display of God's glory through creation; but also, to be able to experience God's amazing love for them in such a tangible way.

Oh, Friend, how I wish you were there with us.
If it's been awhile since God's creation has left you breathless, I pray that in the very near future, He will reveal His divine power and majesty in a way that leaves you standing in awe of His immense love for you.

Ah, reveling in more beauty. I am definitely LIVING A BLESSED LIFE! My deepest desire is that you are as well!

With great JOY,

7 comments:

Anne L.B. said...

How I love the title of your blog! the Lord's blessings and fingerprints are everywhere. I love when they're glowing and glorious like a sunset, and when they're soft and surprising in quiet moments alone with Him.

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful...the song, the words, the beach. I used to take dozens of pictures of sunsets when my family was on vacation as a child. Captivated is a wonderful word to capture what God's nature and His being can do.

I loved seeing pics. of your fam. too!

Andrea said...

LOVE his creation! and LOVE it when He shows off! ;o)

Christy. said...

Loved reading this this morning! So needing Him today, and everyday!

I also love that you are a fellow Shawn McDonald fan. I saw him in concert in Newberg, OR a couple years ago! I love his music!!

Jennifer said...

Love that verse. Love those pictures. Love the Lord that made it all possible and so glad you got to experience it!

Andy and Wendy Ingram said...

Thanks so much friend! I love that song and actually forget to be captivated by Him, so bless you for reminding me! The pictures of the beach and sunset were so great to see God's beautiful creation this morning and yes, it leaves me breathless. Jesus is so present in your faces on those pictures and then with his amazing creation in the background they just bless me to my core. Continuing to pray for you all and joining you today in reveling in His beauty and creation!

Warren Baldwin said...

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hand." Psalm 19:1

The beauty of creation speaks to me, too. Good post.