Monday, July 20, 2009

the right conditions

"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials,
for we know that they help us develop endurance.
And endurance develops strength of character,
and character strengthens
our confident hope of salvation."
Romans 5:3—5 (NLT)

It seems like every time we try to spend a day at the beach, the weather just doesn't seem to cooperate. Our biggest challenge has been the wind making it too cold to want to play and relax.

My favorite kind of beach weather is when the sky is completely blue and the temperature is about 75 degrees. Oh, and I like a nice, gentle breeze. But please, no wind!

It makes for a beautiful and enjoyable day, doesn't it?

Unless, of course, you want to fly a kite. And then some clouds in the sky help shield your upward looking eyes from the blaring sun. And the wind, of course, helps your kite to actually fly.

As I looked at our photos from last week's beach trip, I remembered how disappointed I was that it was windy. Again. And cold.

Until I across the photo of Chelsea and Liam with the kite and remembered just how much fun they had flying it.
The truth of the matter is that I can't have my perfectly warm and wind-free day at the beach and be able to enjoy watching beautiful kites flying in the sky.

I know that most of us would prefer to enjoy a problem-free life. We enjoy those days where things go as we expect them to, we get along with everyone, everything on our to-do list gets done and we are full of peace and joy.

Those kind of days are really nice, aren't they?

Unless of course we also want to live a faith-filled, God-honoring life.

The fact of that matter is that God desires each of us to live our lives to the fullest and to be open to all that He has for us.

Which means that the conditions need to be just right. In other words, there may be some wind, some clouds, some rain, or even some storms. (Or, there may be lots!)

Our challenge in all of this is to appreciate the calm, peaceful days that allow us to relax and simply enjoy life. And then expect that life will bring problems our way, while also recognizing that problems bring growth and blessings.
Remember, Jesus told us that we will face troubles in this world. The good news is that He also assured us that He already overcome all of them.

Blue-sky days are great; but, truthfully, kite flying days are even better.

Keep looking for God in the midst of the challenging days, my Friend. He is there and He is working in and through you to bring about His very best!

Aren't you thrilled to be LIVING A BLESSED LIFE?

He is SO good,

3 comments:

emily said...

Thank you for this truth!!

Searching for God in the everyday said...

Thanks for this. It is a beautiful reminder. I find it especially helpful today. We just found out we are pregnant again (after having just miscarried a baby in February.) I am finding that I must constantly seek to rest in God's lap. That no matter what happens He is bringing about His very best. Maybe it doesn't seem like it to me as it pertains to my life, but I have to remember it's not all about me. Thanks for your words tonight. I agree, kite flying days are better. They have been the days when I have seen God the clearest and felt closest to Him.
Have a blessed day,
~ Cory =)

Jennifer @ Getting Down With Jesus said...

True, that.

Sometimes, it's on the stormiest days when we feel God the closest.

And yes, I am thrilled to be Living a Blessed Life. Blessings to you, dear one.