Monday, July 13, 2009

tending fires

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me."
Psalm 51:12

I read a devotional yesterday that really spoke to my heart and got me thinking.

We all experience times in our lives when our passion for God's work begins to die out. The author pointed out that wise person will tend to their calling in the way that one would tend to a fire. When the flames begin to die out, they add more fuel to the fire.

As I began to think about this, I realized that a well-tended fire will develop hot coals. (You know, the kind you work hard for in order to roast the most perfect marshmallow?)

If the fire has been tended to properly, the embers stay burning even if the fire seems to have gone out. As soon as more fuel is added, the flames will immediately come back to life.

The key is to keep a watchful eye on the fire, adding fuel when necessary. It's important to stay focused on the task at hand and not allow the enemy to distract us from our purpose.

If a fire is left unattended, it will eventually die out. That's never a good thing. Thankfully, God is the Giver of dreams and purpose. He can bring life back to those things He has called us to. (After all, look at what He did for Elijah!)

But what does this mean in my day-to-day life when my passion for God's purpose in my life is beginning to burn low?

The author of the devotional reminded me that the first thing I should always do is seek the Holy Spirit for insight, guidance and wisdom.

With God all things are possible. He will show me where I got distracted and how to get myself back in line with His will for my life.

He will gently show me if there are areas of sin that I need to address, if there are things in my life I need to let go of, or if I need to simply recommit myself to Him.

Psalm 51 is wonderful to pray when I find that I'm struggling in life. David's words oftentimes mirror what my own heart is feeling. (He just says it much more eloquently!) :-)

Life can become so full of activities that I forget the dreams that God planted in me so long ago. When that happens, I miss out on countless blessings and joy.

Fulfilling dreams requires dedication and perseverance. On my own, I struggle greatly with both of those. Thankfully, with God all things are truly possible.

My Friend, are there fires in your life that seem to have died out?

I encourage you to seek the Lord. Ask Him to stir to life those things He has for you to do today. Search His Word for wisdom. Pour out your heart to Him. And then, wait to hear what He has to say to you. (I tend to forget that important part.)

He has things He longs to do in this world that only you can accomplish for Him (and with Him.) Good things. Exciting things. Amazing things! And you will be blessed simply because He loves you!!!

(Remember, we don't earn God's love, or our salvation. The passions and dreams He plants in our lives are gifts He bestows upon us. When we respond to His love for us, the work we do for Him is easy, light and oh-so-enjoyable!)

When we allow the Lord to stoke our fires they become unquenchable . He is glorified in and through our lives.

And that, my Friend, is a beautiful thing.

Keep seeking Him and enjoy LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Heading back to my fire,

1 comment:

HisFireFly said...

Your words always seem to come in God's perfect timing. Thank you!