Friday, July 10, 2009

one step closer!

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
I will bring your children from the east
and gather you from the west."
Isaiah 43:5

We are still awaiting our official referral and won't be able to share photos of our sweet boy until our adoption passes court in Ethiopia.

Our dossier is finally complete(!) and is flying to Addis Ababa even as I type!!! (Wish I was with it! I have such a peace this time around. However, knowing that "M" has been waiting for his new family for over a year is difficult. To say the least.)

As we wait to bring our sweet boy home, we pray that the Lord would continue to keep watch over him. We pray that the Lord would keep him safe from harm. We pray that He would keep "M" healthy. That He would provide safe drinking water and enough food to satisfy his hunger.

We pray that the Lord would minister to his heart as he continues to grieve over the loss of both of his birth parents. And, we pray that the Lord would prepare his heart for the huge changes that are to come. I can't even imagine all that he has been through and all the changes he will need to adjust to. It won't be easy.

As we pray for our son, we pray also for the the other 147 million children who are orphaned worldwide. A number too hard to even begin to process. But, a number that we all own.

I am fortunate to live here in America, the land of great abundance. My lot in life was assigned to me by my Creator. And yet, frequently, I try to imagine what I would do if I was born elsewhere.

What would I do if I was dying and didn't have our good friends, Chris and Ruth, agree to raise our children? My heart literally stops beating for a second as I try to allow my brain to wrap around that possibility.

What would I do?

I would pray that God would knock on some one's heart and ask them to make room in their hearts and home for my children. I would pray that they would say "Yes!" I would trust God to provide for my children's new family each and every step along the way.

There are no other options.

I just can't imagine.

No, we can't solve the problem of 147 million orphans. But, we can choose to say "YES!" to whatever God is calling us to do. Because, my Friend, His plans for you and I are absolutely amazing. He will never leave us with more than we can bear.

In fact, when we do respond to His calling on our lives, it's as if Heaven opens up and abundant and rich blessings begin to flow.

It's a beautiful thing indeed. Joy like you have never imagined.

I see it every day in the face of my youngest, Sara. Four years ago, she was left wrapped in a quilt in a safe place waiting to be found by the next passerby. Her little heart is still healing from the loss and trauma she has experienced, but she know joy.

She brings great joy to those who know her. She knows love. She showers us with her sweet love daily. She is a treasure to our family. And we adore her! (Even on her most challenging days. Like today, when she missed a much needed nap!)

Adoption may not be what the Lord is calling you to, and that's alright. He will show you His will for your life and use you in amazing ways to be His hands, feet and heart to a world in need.

I encourage you, however, to search the Scriptures to learn more about God's heart for widows and orphans.

I ask you, humbly, to pray for the countless children who are waiting to be united with their new families. (It's difficult enough for me to wait for the phone to ring or the mail to come. Can you imagine waiting for a FAMILY to come?!?)

In whatever way you enter into loving the least of these, you will be blessed. I guarantee it! Don't let another minute go by without saying "yes" to His calling!

Saying "yes" to God even when it's scary and uncomfortable is what LIVING A BLESSED LIFE is all about!

With grace & JOY,

4 comments:

Andy and Wendy Ingram said...

I am getting so excited for you guys to actually have "M" soon and have been praying for all of you as you wait! You were right, it is so tough in many ways to come back to all the abundance and plenty after experiencing such heart-ache, seeing such poverty and suffering, and and falling in love with so many orphans and widows in the short-time we were in Swaziland. I continue to claim God's promises for many of the Swazi orphans, who touched our hearts in a way that I cannot even begin to put into words. Thanks Amy, for your love, support, and encouragment with our journey. I don't know where God will take us from here, but know we will never be the same. Praying for God to sustain you all while you wait for God to safely deliver "M" into your loving arms. I am so thankful to be able to read your blog again, one of those blessings and freedoms we take for granted. I missed you and how God speaks truth and breathes life through his promises you share on your blog!
Wendy

Anne L.B. said...

Amy,

I can feel the anticipation in your voice. It is indeed exciting when we hear God's calling, step out in obedience (however it stretches us!), and then wait for the blessing.

I'll be looking for your future news.
Anne

Kelli Gray said...

Wow!! What a treat...I was so pleased that you would share a picture of your 4th arrow with us!! Looking at that adorable hand reminded me of one of my favorite scriptures, you know it...."Can a mother forget the child.......I will never forget you behold I have inscribed you on the palms of My Hands"!! We are celebrating with you this most wonderful Living gift-a son!!
Love-
Kelli

sara said...

YEAH!!!!! Praise God for His Provision with your journey. I am sure it has felt like a long & exhausting (yet faith building) ride! I cannot wait to see the face of the boy that will be (IS) your son!! How blessed you are, truly, to be chosen to parent (2) of the 147 million. Wow.