Monday, July 27, 2009

NKJV Chronological Study Bible

The New King James Version Chronological Study Bible was sent to me awhile back by Thomas Nelson. I signed up as a "book review blogger" and was thrilled to see such an incredible reference Bible available for review.

When I first took it out of the box, I was enamoured by the beautiful colors and pictures they used in printing the Bible.

The layout of the Bible, obviously, was done in a very unique way. Chronologically. As someone who loves to dig in deeper into the Word, this is the one thing that excited me most about this Bible. In my own personal library, I have over ten different Bibles to choose from. None, however, are written chronologically.

There are nine different sections of the study Bible, or "epochs" as they have labeled them. Each epoch is marked by separate colors, so if you are thumbing through the Bible, you will be able to easily locate the epoch you are interested in reading. You can also see the different time periods marked on each page.

That said, this layout can be viewed as either a positive or negative. On one hand, the "new" order of the Bible may give readers a fresh experience as they spend time in the Word. This is especially appealing for those who prefer for the Bible to be as exact as possible.

On the other hand, if you are someone who likes to pick up a Bible and quickly skim through to locate a particular book (like I am), this feature will leave you incredibly frustrated. The reference information is actually printed along the inside seam which I found unhelpful.

That said, however, I was pleased when I finally located the index of Scripture passages located at the very back of the book. Perhaps in future reprints, the Scripture references could be printed in a more visible place and the index moved to the front of the Bible.

One of the things I like best about about the Chronological Study Bible is that every page is rich with supplemental information that makes the studying the Bible even more interesting. There are lots photos, maps, and time-lines. I especially found the "Daily Life Notes" that explain the culture at the time the Scriptures were written.

Overall, this is a beautiful Bible that is rich in detail and bonus features. While it may not be useful in quickly looking up specific passages, it will definitely provide endless study opportunities for the reader.

Thank you, Thomas Nelson, for challenging me to get out of my comfort zone and experience God's Word in a new and unique way.

LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

2 comments:

chicknboy said...

thanks for this review. it looks really neat -I really like the idea of it being in chronological order.

Anne L.B. said...

AmyJo, the NKJV is my farandaway top pick for reading the Bible among the few dozen translations I own. Now that I've seen your review, I've no doubt it's only a matter of time before I add this version to my library.