Tuesday, July 21, 2009

lessons from Deuteronomy

"It is a good land which the Lord our God gives us."
Deuteronomy 1:25 (AMP)

One of may favorite books of the Bible is Deuteronomy. There's just so much wisdom and so many examples to learn from. Not to mention the Ten Commandments. :-)

I've been studying Deuteronomy this week so that I can better teach my children about God's laws and the choices He gives us.

I have several different Bibles that I flip-flop between. Over the weekend, I pulled out my Amplified version. Here's what the introduction to Deuteronomy said:

"Deuteronomy is a book about our never-ending need for God and His presence in our everyday lives. It is about trusting Him for daily miracles, learning to live in the blessings He gives us, and relying on His guidance in every situation we face.

In Deuteronomy, we see that the Israelites had to learn to worship God in the wilderness, to honor and obey Him while they were on the way to the Promised Land, when the journey was difficult. God asks us today, just as He did the Israelites, to worship Him and trust Him when life's journey gets tough. He knows that we will not consistently worship during the good times if we will not worship Him in the hard times. He also knows that our trust in Him is developed and strengthened in difficulty and not when everything is going well for us.

Let Deuteronomy provoke you to trust God and to seek His presence more fervently than ever. Remember that we do not live 'by bread alone," but by the Word of God and in the presence of God. Let this book encourage you to live in the blessings of obedience to God and teach you to handle those blessings wisely. Let it inspire you to worship your way through the wilderness times in your life and to keep choosing life in every situation."

I couldn't say it better than myself.

I love that my Creator made me fully alive with the gift of choice. I'm thankful that He loves me even when I choose curses and death, and that He uses my poor choices to grow and shape me.

I'm thankful that His gifts of blessings and life make me yearn to choose Him over and over and over again.

(I'm looking forward to sharing more about what God has been teaching me this week. However, I have three kids who are BEYOND excited for me to take them to VBS. Gotta go lather them up in sunscreen. It's been HOT here in Oregon this week!)

LIVING A BLESSED LIFE means continuing to seek Him and follow Him both in and through the wilderness.

Getting closer to my Promised Land each day,

4 comments:

Anne L.B. said...

I'm thankful that He loves me ... and that He uses my poor choices to grow and shape me.

How much bigger a God could we ask for?

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

I think one of the reasons I come here is b/c of this statement: "One of may favorite books of the Bible is Deuteronomy."

I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone say that before...that is why I love you!
~ Wendy

mommy24treasures said...

I LOVE Deut as well. We read and thank Him for the blessings in Deut 28 and speak them over our children regularly.
Have fun at VBS!

Linda Vittitow said...

love your posts and I love Deuteronomy. I have been studying it in BSF. I write a devotional blog about my studies. The latest is on Deut. 27-30. Check it out.

Devotionsbylv.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Linda