Wednesday, July 22, 2009

the gentle whisper

"The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain
in the presence of the LORD,
for the LORD is about to pass by."
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart
and shattered the rocks before the LORD,
but the LORD was not in the wind.
After the wind there was an earthquake,
but the LORD was not in the earthquake.
After the earthquake came a fire,
but the LORD was not in the fire.
And after the fire came a gentle whisper."
1 Kings 19:11-12 (NLT)


This morning, Liam woke up stressed about a bad dream he had last night. As he began to recount the details, I completely understood why the dream had scared him.

His dream involved a freaky looking creature that attacked him and sucked my sweet boy into his stomach. Yuck, right?

Liam continued to share some disturbing details while I listened and tried to gauge what kind of response he needed from me.

Personally, I don't do freaky. I'm careful about the shows and books I read, and teach my children to do the same thing.

I am so overwhelmed by all of the beauty in this world that I have no desire to waste my time (or brain space) focusing on anything that feeds fear or dark thoughts.

Liam had, unfortunately, caught a glimple of a computer game with scary images and that was what his brain pulled from during his nightmare. It's bound to happen in this life, but as his mom, I have to say, it stinks.

I feel so sad that children are bombarded by such images that should be too much for adults to have to process. But I digress.

Just as I was getting ready to respond to what Liam was sharing, his next words caught me off guard.

"And then Jesus came and told the creatures to let me go. But, Mom, the thing is, He didn't yell or get upset. He quietly said the words. And they let me go!"

I started to cry. Sure, the enemy was trying to paralyze my son with fear. But God had other plans.

He met my boy in the middle of his bad dream. He protected my son. He rescued my son.

His words are so powerful that He didn't need to use anger, force or a loud voice.

He spoke and the enemy obeyed. My son was delivered from fear. How incredibly powerful is that?!?

In the end, my words didn't matter. God spoke and Liam listened.

Liam went on to say (with a huge smile on his face), "Mom, I can hear His voice right now. He's whispering. 'I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you.'"

And to that, I tearfully said, "Amen."

Friend, what is the Lord whispering to you, today? Sometimes we have to really make an effort to look away from those things that cause us stress and worry and allow ourselves to hear what He is saying.

He is there and He loves you. Today I pray that you are able to find peace and rest in His goodness and love.

We are LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Learning from my son and His Savior,

(with special thanks to Liam for sharing his dream)

9 comments:

Amy said...

What a beautiful post, Amy! I love that His words are so powerful He need only speak them...no shouting needed. Just the powerful, calm, freeing voice of Jesus. I am so grateful Liam was able to experience first hand what a powerful, yet gentle Savior loves him. Thanking the Lord that He still speaks today if we will only listen. Love you!!

mommy24treasures said...

how wonderful! I pray he carries this memory all through life.... The promise of protection.

chicknboy said...

oh my! I have tears welling up in my eyes right now.

As I was reading this I was thinking 'yep-I don't do freaky either..they mess w/my mind and I know they freak out my kids too...yep -don't like that they are all over the place"...then I read how Jesus showed up for Liam....in his dream..and then as he heard Him say "I love you I love you"

I was caught off -guard. but I'm glad I was.

that was powerful.

Anne L.B. said...

Jesus never runs out of ways to save us! How I love Him.

Another wonderful post, Amy.

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

What a powerful story and example of spiritual warfare! God rescues!

BTW, I don't do scary/freaky either.

~ Wendy

Andrea said...

That was beautiful thank you for sharing!

HisFireFly said...

I also pray that Liam is able to draw on that wonderful and personal revelation of God's love for years to come.

He loves all of us!

Searching for God in the everyday said...

Thanks Amy Jo. It's been a rough couple days and I needed to hear this today. God has given you a way with words. I want to be like Liam when I grow up! Please tell him thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Cory =)

ellie said...

Beautiful post. Thanks so much to Liam and to you for sharing his dream!

xo ellie