Wednesday, July 1, 2009

expecting a response

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you."
Matthew 7:7

This morning, my youngest daughter knocked on the door separating us and asked me for her reward.

For the summer, I have set up a simple chore & reward system. Once my kids have completed the chores on their cards, they bring them to me. I then exchange them for their reward cards. My kids can then use the cards to buy rewards (a.k.a. media time) from me.

So far, it's working really well. Using the cards has saved me from nagging them to get their chores done or trying to track how many minutes of computer time they've used.

With the exception of one small wrinkle—Sara keeps losing hers. :-)

I carefully explained to her what she needed to do (through the closed door—privacy is a good thing!) After I finished talking, I asked her if she understood. No response.

About 15 minutes later, Sara came back to me asking me the same question. I asked her if she had done what I asked. She said innocently, "No Mama, I didn't know I was supposed to do that."

The sad news is that she had run out of time to earn her reward. We needed to leave for her doctor appointment. She wasn't at all happy with that news. She was even more unhappy once she learned that she was due for more shots. :-(

Our conversation reminded me of a lesson God taught me last when. When I failed to listen to Him.

I was looking for the hardware to our hammock. My husband has organized our garage so well, that at times, it's difficult for me to find what I am looking for.

I was quickly reminded of having the same problem last year. I prayed and God led me to the exact box the items were in.

And so, I prayed again.

And then I immediately began opening box after box, looking in every single nook and cranny. Only to end up frustrated.

Then came the quiet whisper. I felt the Lord speak to my heart that I had prayed, but I didn't actually wait for Him to respond. Ah ha! The key to prayer!

And so, I tried again. This time I waited.

Wouldn't you know that I immediately knew where to look and found the hardware? Funny thing is that I had actually looked in the red toolbox at least four times already!!! ;-)

Lesson learned! (I think...)

"Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you." Mark 11:24

"Moses answered them, "Wait until I find out what the LORD commands concerning you." Numbers 9:8

"In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." Psalm 5:3

I decided to give Sara another chance to earn her rewards and she was quite happy. I'm so thankful that God gives me so many, MANY second chances as well!

Learning and LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

I will pray and then WAIT!

6 comments:

Charlene said...

I've (actually, we've) had several of those learning experiences this week! Connor's gerbil was lost not once, but twice! And Jacob couldn't find his ipod. I tend to "forget" to pray first about these things, but this time it was the first suggestion to them! The gerbil--found both time behind the entertainment center which is across the house from it's cage (not too smart to go back to the same spot, but isn't that just like us humans!); and Jacob's ipod--in his DS case and HE had the lightbulb moment to look there (already knowing in his heart that it was there). God is so great to care about all our issues--big and small and to keep giving us chances to learn our lessons! Thank you, God for not giving up on us!

Anonymous said...

Oh My, You don't know how much I personally needed to hear that. Thank you for the perfect post for me. Thanks for being a tool God uses through your thoughtful writing.

Beth

Chantelle said...

That was another beautiful post, Amy. You are so gifted in devotional writing. Do you ever read Proverbs 31 devos? Your writing style reminds me of some of their writers.

Anyway, God bless!

Amy said...

Ah, Amy! Such perfect words for me to hear today as I start my day of fasting. I especially love Psalm 5:3 - that we lay our requests at His feet and then WAIT in EXPECTATION. How many times have I said the prayer I needed to say in the moment and immediately go away forgetting sometimes I had even ever prayed it?! It is a blessing indeed to get to wait for the God of the universe to come and meet us in His time. And that I can expect Him to answer. So, today, I'm starting my day praying with expectation, knowing that I serve a great God who just bids us to ASK and WAIT. Thank you so much for your beautiful words! Love you, Amy

Warren Baldwin said...

It is good to see prayer impact us even in the nitty gritty, little details of life. Funny, it is the big things that matter so much, but it is the little things that can irritate the life out of us, and upset our balance. Thanks for sharing this story! One thing I don't understand, though, is how your husband keeps the garage so neat. I can't seem to manage that!

Anne L.B. said...

Amy, I headed over here today from Wendy's blog. So glad I did!

Waiting. I'm grateful for the reminder because it is SO hard.