Thursday, July 9, 2009

and then again...

ImageChef Word Mosaic - ImageChef.com

"Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23—24

On one hand, it's not about me. It's all about Him and my desire to glorify Him.

And yet, it is about me.

This morning I was reflecting upon all that the Lord has been teaching me lately; especially in regard to how quickly I allow myself to be offended by others.

It's a reality that we all sin. However, when I am quick to notice and judge others for their actions and words, it's no longer about them. It's about me.

There's a reason why a mother being impatient with her daughter in the library offends me.

There is a reason why a father being hurtful to his son in the grocery store bothers me.

And yes, there is a reason why overhearing one of my children making rude comments to a sibling pricks my flesh.

These are all areas where my own heart has been wounded. In order to allow my first response to be compassion and love, I need the Lord to heal me.

I'm thankful that He is shining the light on these broken areas by allowing my spirit (and flesh) to be offended by others.

The key, however, is to not allow myself to get in the space of trying to correct, fix or change other people. (After all, even my four year old knows the verse about not trying to take a speck out our brother's eye when we have a plank in your own!)

My desire is similar to David's. I long for the Lord to reveal my sin to me, especially sin that I am so accustomed to that I am unable to see it.

I desire to bring my sin before the Lord and allow Him to wash me clean. His love is so good—and He is so faithful!

"Because of the LORD's great love
we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:22—23

If you have people in your life, Friend, that are offending you for any reason, I encourage you to ask the Lord to show you why.

Don't worry, He's gentle and kind! Once He shines His light on an area in need of healing, His love and peace will overcome you.

Gone will be the voices of judgement and pride that try to keep us trapped in sin and pain!

He loves you, just as you are. And yet, He desires to see more and more freedom and victory in your life. He has so many blessings to shower upon you! And you are worthy of every last one.

Are you LIVING A BLESSED LIFE? I pray that you are! :-)

Thankful for His mercies.

3 comments:

California Isoms said...

This is wonderful! I am so enjoying your blog!! I also wanted you to know I nominated you for an award on my blog. Thanks for your inspiring words...
~ Cory =)

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

You are always teaching me!!!
~ Wendy

chicknboy said...

wow. these last 2 posts have me really thinking....you are so great at that. :)

thanks for sharing what is on your heart and allowing the Lord to teach us thru what He is teaching you.