Tuesday, June 16, 2009

swimming?

Last Friday I had a couple of hours to read while Chelsea was taking her test. Although I brought along my new copy of Tom Davis' new book, Scared, I wasn't able to relax enough to really enjoy it. (I was too busy praying for my sweet girl to remember all I had taught her this past year. Grin.)

Instead, I ended up reading my first copy of Relevant magazine from cover to cover.

Jay Kim wrote a short, but poignant article titled Swimming in the Sacred in the Reject Apathy column.

His fourth and fifth paragraphs especially struck a chord for me. (Personally, though, I'd rather not comment on Brad's personal beliefs. Not my place. Although I do understand the point that Jay is trying to make.) :-)

If you like the article, you may want to also check out some of links to related articles. While I may not agree with every viewpoint expressed by the magazine, I admit that I love being challenged and forced to look at tough topics.

Oftentimes, God uses others to show me that the box I've been keeping Him in a box. The best way for me to grow in my faith in Him is through a good dose of reality and an extra large helping of His love and goodness.

By the way, I have since started devouring Tom's new book and all I have to say is "Wow."

God is SO good, and in Him, I am LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Ready to go swimming?

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Scared is amazing. It's a tough tough read, but amazingly written. I cried through most of it! Can't wait to hear what you think of the whole thing. Blessings
A

Amy said...

Looking forward to seeing what you think of Scared. I just posted about it on my blog. Got to meet/hear Tom speak on Saturday and I continue to be amazed at the passion/gifting God has given him. My prayer is that God continues to use him to inspire all of us to engage more fully with the call of the whole gospel. Thanks for the recommendation of Relevant Magazine...I'm gonna check it out!