Friday, June 19, 2009

seasons



The blessings of Summer are appreciated all the more after we have survived the Winter season.

If you look closely at the photo above, you can see a green pot just barely poking out of the snow on the right. Can you see it? That, my Friend, was our Hydrangea plant just six short months ago.

The picture at the very top of this post was taken yesterday. Beautiful, eh?

Who would have thought that this plant could survive such a crazy, cold Winter like we experienced in 2008? Especially here in Oregon?!?


As I look out my window, I see Summer everywhere I look. The trees are green and full of leaves, the flowers are in bloom. It's absolutely gorgeous outside. Everywhere I look I see beauty just waiting to be captured in a photo.


And yet, I have to admit, if my world looked like this 365 days a year, I don't think I would hold such great appreciation for all of the beauty I see.


In my own life, I have experienced cold, harsh Winters . At times everything in my life appeared to be lifeless and lacking color. It seemed like all hope was lost.

Just when I thought I couldn't survive another day, the snow and ice started to melt and the clouds began to part. Sure, the Spring rains came, but so did the sunshine and new life. And just like now, Summer followed right behind.

I have to believe that God chose to create seasons on Earth in order to help us better understand the spiritual seasons He brings us through.

As hard as the Winters may be, they are always, always worth the wait once we see the blossoms He brings in Spring and Summer.

One of my most favorite songs is Every Season by Nichole Nordeman. You can listen to a preview and purchase it from Amazon.com if you like it.


Every evening sky, an invitation
To trace the patterned stars
And early in July, a celebration
For freedom that is ours
And I notice You
In children’s games
In those who watch them from the shade
Every drop of sun is full of fun and wonder
You are summer

And even when the trees have just surrendered
To the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late September
And sending us inside
Still I notice You when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been and was to come
You are autumn

And everything in time and under heaven
Finally falls asleep
Wrapped in blankets white, all creation
Shivers underneath
And still I notice you
When branches crack
And in my breath on frosted glass
Even now in death, You open doors for life to enter
You are winter

And everything that’s new has bravely surfaced
Teaching us to breathe
What was frozen through is newly purposed
Turning all things green
So it is with You
And how You make me new
With every season’s change
And so it will be
As You are re-creating me
Summer, autumn, winter, spring

Whatever season you find yourself in, Friend, know that He is always with you and His love is timeless.

LIVING A BLESSED LIFE and thoroughly soaking up this season's rays of Son.

Sweet blessings,

2 comments:

Christy. said...

I am loving the beauty of Oregon too!!
That song is so amazing, it's on my running playlist and I listen to it while I am running five times a week. Such a reminder!
I would love to meet you in "real life"! You can email me at
cgladheim@gmail.com
Have a great day!

Andrea said...

Amen! I too love that God gives us each seasons so that we appreciate the beauty of life.
Blessings
Andrea