Saturday, June 27, 2009

live and become



I rented this movie from NetFlix and put off watching it because I knew it was going to be intense. Last night I popped it into the DVD player to watch the first few minutes. I wanted to see if the movie was worth watching.

Two hours and twenty minutes later, I was a puddle of tears on the couch. :-) Yes, it was worth watching. And I'll be watching again tonight with Geoff.

I was first pulled in by the actor who played the main character. His big curly hair and the shape of his face reminded me of our Ethiopian son waiting for us have a world away.

(I so wish I could share his photos, but we have to wait. He's REALLY handsome and has a beautiful smile. And as I said before, he seriously looks like a darker version of Liam. Only God!)

Anyhow, the movie was very well done. I was touched by it on so many different levels.

Here's what cinema.com wrote about it:

"‘LIVE AND BECOME’ is a gripping and engaging tale of deception and survival that entwines the issues of politics, religious right, love and identity around the fate of one young boy. In 1984, displaced by civil war and famine, hundreds of thousands of Ethiopians walked the long road to refugee camps in Sudan. Hidden among them were the Falashas, Ethiopian Jews and direct descendants of King Solomon.

Israel airlifted the Falashas to a new life in Israel. In the mayhem, a starving Christian mother entrusts her 9-year old son with a bereaved Falasha mother. When the 'mother' of the newly named Schlomo dies, he is adopted by kind, liberal people. Wracked by his loss and the gravity of his secret, Schlomo struggles against his good fortune, unable to come to terms with a new country, a new culture and its own prejudices."

Gripping, indeed. The one scene that stood out the most was when the Ethiopian boys were receiving their first shower. 'Solomon,' a victim of the drought, looked up at the water flowing from the ceiling. When he followed its train down to the floor and down the drain, he became extremely distraught. Can you imagine?

Geoff and I have talked at length about what "M" will think of America. When I stand at the check-out aisle in the grocery store and look at all the extra (non-necessary) stuff that surrounds me, I cringe. It makes me uncomfortable. Especially when I look in my own cart. What will he think?

We are working to simplify our lives even more. Not just for our new son's sake, but for our own. Our current house is much smaller than the last. And yet, we still have great excess. The Lord challenged me today to get rid of even more. I don't need it. I don't use it.

I simply acquire stacks of books, papers and stuff, until I need to spend a whole afternoon sorting through it. It doesn't help me. It stresses me out. (Am I the only one that struggles with this?)

When I woke up this morning, I couldn't help but think more about the movie and how it challenged me. I'm looking forward to watching it again tonight to see what else I can learn.

(Warning: This movie will make you feel uncomfortable. It addresses some tough topics. You will be required to read subtitles, but if you're like me, listening to Amharic, French and Hebrew is a rare treat! There are a few uses of profanity and a scene that fortunately doesn't go farther than it should to make its point. It's not a film for children, although the drought in Africa and Operation Moses are realities we should all be aware of.)

Yes, this movie struck a chord with me. I'm so glad that I took the time to watch it. I love being made to feel uncomfortable. I love to be challenged and shaken out of my comfortable, safe world. If you do too, I encourage you to spend 140 minutes and be blessed! :-)

On a side note, I read in my Bible commentary today that "blessed" can be defined as "spiritually 'happy' from God's perspective." When I say that I am living a blessed life, that's exactly what I mean.

I hope that you, my Friend, are LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Rejoicing in my discomfort,

2 comments:

Chantelle said...

Oh...my...gosh. :( The trailer for this movie wrecked me, I can't imagine what the whole thing would do! :( The story has elements that are similar to one of my adopted children. Such an intensely complicated, sad situation.

Anyway, thank you for sharing about this. Looks powerful.

The Fenwick Family said...

Hi,I found your blog thru Lucy Lane's. It is great and even greater that you are adopting.We are on the wait list at #2 for our daughter Maiya from India. I look forward to following your journey.You are also welcome to follow ours.... Blessings,Gidget