Monday, June 1, 2009

it's not about ME

My pastor has been doing a message series titled, "Finding the Hidden Treasure." This past Sunday, he asked each of us to close our eyes and ask God to reveal to us what we treasure most.

Luke 12:34 tells us "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Obviously, we all want our treasure to be found in Christ because that is where our hearts truly belong.

Imagine my surprise when God spoke to me that my treasure was myself. You see, I'm not a prideful person, at least in the way most of us think of pride.

Rather than thinking I am really great, I continually think of all of the things that are wrong with me that I need to fix. (Note the emphasis on "I.")

The truth is that pride can go both ways. We can err on the side of thinking we are the "end all, be all." Or, we can err on the side of not appreciating the value that God created in us.

The fact is that God Himself lives within us and therefore we are incredible creations. No, we're not perfect, but when we find our purpose and sense of worth in Him, we are in fact invaluable.

By allowing myself to be stuck in the pit of self-loathing and striving, I have allowed my thoughts to be focused totally and completely on myself.

Ouch. :-(

There is no Jesus in the all of the negatives that I meditate on 24x7. And that, my Friends, is pride.

God showed me, albeit gently, that because I constantly rehash my faults and mistakes, I, in fact, have made an idol of the one thing that drives me crazy. MYSELF.

Oh my. Could it be? 'Fraid so.

Isn't it funny that when we try to avoid one sin (pride), we oftentimes go too far to the other extreme that we end up being stuck in that very sin? How's that for a brain puzzler? :-)

I'm not sure that I have the solution to all of this. But I do know that it starts with acknowledging that I've been stuck in sin and need to repent.

I'm thankful that God's mercies are new every day. I'm also thankful that when He convicts me of my sin it's because He loves me and wants to help me grow.

Titus 3:4—6 says, "When God our Savior revealed his kindness and love, he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit. He generously poured out the Spirit upon us through Jesus Christ our Savior. "

Today, I am thankful that in my imperfection, my King loves me and forgives me. I am thankful to be LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

It's NOT about me,

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm glad you brought this up. I learned this from Beth Moore in one of her studies and I think it is vital that Christian women know this. Sometimes we beat ourselves up, calling it humility...but it's not and it's not how God wants us to be living. Great post!
~ Wendy

Chantelle said...

I relate. Thanks for sharing!

Kalashnikov Clan Updates said...

I can relate. God showed me that I was being a narcissist!