Tuesday, June 2, 2009

finding balance

Have you ever played Wii Fit? During my weekend away with Chelsea, Geoff bought it for our family. Although it took me awhile to warm up to it, I've been using it on a regular basis lately.

One of the things I appreciate the most about Wii Fit is that it utilizes a balance board throughout the different exercises. In addition to getting fit, it helps develop body awareness.

After each activity, the Wii provides feedback on how well your body is balanced (or in my case, not.) For example, when you walk, do you have an equal balance of weight between your left and right foot? The system actually comes back with a ratio percentage.

Now I know why my feet have been so sore! (Thankfully, my husband gives me the best foot massages.) :-)

Before I started using the balance board, I was completely out of touch with my body. I had been walking around with really bad posture.

And, since I reside within my own body (it's alright, you can giggle, where else would I be residing?!?), it's impossible for me to gauge whether I am walking with good, balanced posture or not.

Kinda like our spiritual walks, isn't it? When we get "busy living our lives," and fail to take time to check in with the Lord, we can quickly become out of balance.

It's not that we don't desire to make good choices or be good people. We just get so focused on the things we're doing (and the way others around us are doing them), that we quickly get out of alignment without even realizing it.

The thing that makes all of this so complex is that God actually maintains a seemingly impossible balance between two things that we view as polar opposites in this world.

God's Word clearly states things in black and white. Despite our human desire, there are no gray areas with God. Sin is sin. We can choose life or death.

While He is very clear on what's good and what's bad, He is also able to hold two opposite truths in tandem. In certain areas, it's not a matter of "either/or." With God, it is often "both."

For example, God is justice and grace. And, He is a perfect balance of both. As humans, we may often describe ourselves as being all about justice, or all about grace. But both? Is that actually possible? Yes, it's not only possible, it's the only way to live. In a perfect balance.

Another paradox is that God calls us to speak the truth in love. Not an easy task for those of us who struggle with people pleasing.

We can either love someone or speak the truth, but, man it can be hard to do both on our own!

When we are looking for spiritual balance, it's essential for us to rely solely upon the Lord, otherwise we'll err on one side or the other.

While the balance board can tell me that when I walk, I lean too far back and put 8% more weight on my left foot than my right, it has no idea what the health of my spiritual heart is.

For that, I need to turn to the Lord and spend time in His Word. He alone is able to reveal to me where I am in need of a spiritual alignment. And thankfully, He can do it!

Now, if your feet or back are sore, you might find the Wii Fit balance board helpful! :-)

Still grappling with yesterday's conundrum , but I am definitely LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

In need of an alignment (physical and spiritual),

2 comments:

Charlene said...

OUCH! You hit a nerve with this one! LOL I am not spending time with Him, my prayers are not like they use to be. As a result, I'm finding myself not a pleasant person, using hurtful words, just losing it. I NEED to find that balance again. My heart is so heavy. I definitely need a spiritual adjustment. Thanks for the reminder!

Becky Ryder said...

Good word! Its amazing how when I'm not up to par, my attitude (mostly towards kiddies) isn't where it should be. Here's to not trying to change myself on my own!