Thursday, May 28, 2009

waiting

Waiting requires a great deal of faith and hope in the One who loves us all. If you've ever pursued a precious child through adoption, you know by personal experience that waiting can feel like absolute torture. Really.

When we were in the middle of our adoption of our youngest, Sara, we completed our paperchase and homestudy before we received her referral. While we had dreams of having another daughter in our family, we had no idea who she would be or what her sweet little face would look like.

Once we received our referral, our hearts instantly bonded to the little we knew about her. Her name was Wei Kang Xia and she was born in Tianjin, China. The birth date they gave her (the day she was found) was May 24, 2005. She was a beautiful little girl. We received our referral in August 2006 and traveled to receive her in November 2006. And so it was, the torture of waiting began. Four long months.

This time, however, we kinda went into the process backwards. We decided to adopt again and requested a DVD of waiting (older) children.

Our family immediately fell in love with a seven-year-old little boy with the initials M.B. We know some very basic information about him, but are awaiting his official referral.

We are now five months into our process. Our dossier (paperwork) is almost complete. We are getting our fingerprints done next week and will then await approval from US Homeland Security to bring our son home.

Lots and lots and LOTS of waiting.

While the waiting is hard for us (yes, I did say torture, didn't I?), our real concern is not for ourselves, but for our son. He's been waiting for a family for over a year. We know that both of his parents have died and that he lived with a distant relative for some time. She is the one who brought him to the orphanage and asked that a strong Christian family be found for him.

I can't even begin to imagine the devastating pain and loss he has already experienced. I pray that he is safe and being well-cared for. It's my understanding that he is.

I do trust that God is watching over our new son. But, like all parents, I can't wait to have my son safe at home where we can shower him with our love and help him to heal.

As with our first adoption, I am going through this process with many other families. I am blessed to be a part of a group of women who communicate daily, offering support, encouragement and most importantly prayers for each other.

They too are waiting and most have been waiting longer than we have. As they receive reports from Ethiopia that there is yet another problem with their paperwork, that their case didn't pass court or that their court date was rescheduled, they know the wait definitely feels like torture.

And yet. We continue to put our faith in the God of All. We wait expectantly and with hope. We trust that He loves our children even more than we could possibly imagine. And, we believe that in the midst of the (long) wait, He loves us.

I'm thankful that God instructs us to not see things with our human eyes, but to trust in what He is doing in during the wait.

There is always a reason. He is always working.

He is teaching us. He is nurturing us. He is growing us. He is loving us. Deeply.

He is calling us to wait upon Him. Wouldn't you know that the Bible is full of verses that teach us about waiting:

"In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation."
Psalm 5:3

"Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD."
Psalm 27:14

"We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield."
Psalm 33:20

"Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him..."
Psalm 37:7a

"Moses answered them, "Wait until I find out what the LORD commands concerning you."
Numbers 9:8

"I wait for you, O LORD; you will answer, O Lord my God."
Psalm 38:15

"I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry."
Psalm 40:1

"I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope."
Psalm 130:5

Isn't it amazing when we look to the LORD for His truth, the torture of waiting dissipates and we left with hope and great expectation.

Yet another of God's secrets to LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Waiting with hope for my God,

6 comments:

Becky Ryder said...

You call it torture too?!! The funny thing is I have a great peace. Great verses! I especially love Ps 40:1. Longer waits mean God is at work in an awesome thing, its well worth the wait:)

Amy said...

This post was so timely!! We are adopting a little boy from Ethiopia as well and it seems that there's nothing but slow downs and not so great news. Thank you for the reminder that God is in this whole thing and there's nothing that is happening that's a surprise to Him. I love that we can rest in that! So, for now, more prayers for the sweet children waiting for their families! Praise the One who is the Father to the fatherless.

Michelle Riggs said...

Waiting is so very hard. I pray that god will hold you and your new son close until he is home.

My daughter, Samrawit, was nine when she came home. I would love to adopt another older child.

Thank you for praying for my daughter, Abby.

RiggsFamilyBlog.com

Wendy said...

I am grateful how your posts always point me to God. Always. And I loved how you said you wait in hope!

Lately I've been signing my letters to people ~ With Hope...

~ Wendy

Christy. said...

Amen on that one! Waiting is not my specialty! I am trusting that God know who our boy is and when the perfect time is for him to come home!

Kristi J said...

yes, I hear ya!! The waiting is hard..Man, but being at the end is heaven :) kristi