Monday, April 6, 2009

seasons

"Then Daniel praised the God of heaven and said: "Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him. I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers: You have given me wisdom and power, you have made known to me what we asked of you, you have made known to us the dream of the king." Daniel 2:19b-23 (NIV)

While I write this, I'm sitting by my bedroom window watching my kids play with their friends across the street...in the sprinkler! We've enjoyed a few days of glorious Spring weather. My friends, however, in Colorado and Illinois are feeling frustrated that their yards are covered with snow and ice.

There's a well-known verse found in Ecclesiastes that states "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." (Chapter 3, verse 1)

It's true not only of the seasons that affect our weather and climate, but also our lives.

My family is a season of planning and preparation as we anticipate adding another precious child to our family. Several of my friends have already brought home their new children and enjoying the process of settling in as a new family.

My neighbors are in a season of packing up their home to relocate to China; they are excited about the adventures ahead. My children, on the other hand, are already feeling sad that their good friends will soon be leaving.

I have a friend who is pregnant with her second son, while another is trying to make sense of a series of miscarriages. My heart rejoices with one and grieves with the other.

Sometimes, we find ourselves in mixed seasons. We find ourselves trying to hold in tandem the blessings of life and joy while also processing loss and pain. Sometimes our seasons make sense to us, and other times we can feel so devastated and confused that it's impossible to know which way is up.

Whatever season you find yourself in, I pray that you're eyes fixed upon the Lord and that He is showering you with His grace and peace. His promises are just as true in the Winter as they are in the Spring.

LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

2 comments:

CariJ said...

Beautiful post, my friend! I love the idea of being in a "mixed season". That is so true and most often the case.

You've been a lean, mean blogging machine lately! Keep it up!

Cari
www.marriedtothepastor.com

emily said...

Thank you so much for your comment, I would love to know exactly what you used for any help with sleep! :)

Off to read more of your blog but saw you mention Crazy Love below- that book kicked my rear! Loved it, loved it.