Monday, April 20, 2009

scared: a novel on the edge of the world

If you've followed my blog for any length of time, you've discovered that I'm all about books and movies that serve a purpose.

My top favorite movies include: Fireproof, A Walk to Beautiful, Seven Pounds, We are Together, and Beyond Belief.

My top favorite books include: Crazy Love, From Ashes to Africa, Fields of the Fatherless and Red Letters: Living a Faith that Bleeds.

The last two books were written by Tom Davis, whom my husband and I are hoping to meet when he visits Oregon next month. Tom is currently in Ethiopia (where my new son is currently living!) Tom has invested his heart and live into the "fields of the fatherless." You can find links to all of his books and ministries directly from his blog. The work Tom is doing is changing lives. God is using his ministry and books powerfully.

By highlighting Jesus' red letters for me, Tom has inspired my family to invest ourselves and resources further into the Kingdom work. As I shared recently, my family has begun our own advocacy on behalf of orphans and widows.

One of the many things we'll be doing is selling 963 Coffee (& cocoa!) The funds we raise will benefit Ethiopian widows and help them to keep their precious families intact. I'll be giving away free samples in the very near future, so please keep checking back in with me to get more details. :-)

Tom has branched out into writing fiction with his new book Scared: a Novel on the Edge of the World. (BTW - his publisher is including a warning on the cover!) The sad reality is that his book is closer to fact than fiction. It is based upon the devastating reality of our world today. Take a look at this powerful book trailer he put together:


Scared - A Novel on the Edge of the World from Children's HopeChest on Vimeo.

I've already pre-ordered my own copy and am sure I will read it cover to cover in less than a day! :-) I LOVE a good read, and since I'm so proud of Tom for the way he's living out his life, I know his new book will be even better than the past three.

I know that the needs of the world can feel overwhelming. I pray that instead of feeling overwhelmed, however, you feel inspired to invest yourself into one of more of the countless opportunities that are available. Or, better yet, start your own. I promise, you won't regret your decision. Remember that we can never out-give God and He will always meet our needs when we trust Him.

LIVING A BLESSED LIFE and continuing to give thanks for those God brings into my life (including all of you I've met online!)

Sweet, sweet blessings,

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I'm getting one of these books! I love what I'm learning from your blog!
~ Wendy