Tuesday, April 28, 2009

reckless faith

I've never done this before, but I'm actually going to recommend a book I haven't even read yet.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at our local Christian bookstore. I was looking through their small selection of books about missions when I saw Reckless Faith by Beth Guckenberger. I read the back and did a quick thumbing through of the pages. It looked really good, but since I've promised myself to be more careful with how I spend my money, and already have way too many books to read at home, I put it back on the shelf.

Last week, I was doing some research online when I came across a video of the author talking about her book and her life. Since then, I've found countless more videos. I can't wait to buy the book. Beth has an extraordinary faith and such a beautiful heart for God's precious children.

Geoff and I watched one of her brief videos last night and agreed that maybe our youngest needed us to take a new approach with her---spoiling her---with LOVE.

OK, it's impossible to "spoil" anyone with love, I know. But, oftentimes I refer to the way we parent our Chinese daughter as "backwards parenting." We find that she needs the complete opposite of what our birth kiddos need, and that it's alright to do things differently. Even our birth kiddos often need different things from each other.

Anyhow, I was inspired by Beth's words and thought you might be as well. You can click on the book title link above and view a short video about her ministry in Mexico. (It will take you to Christianbook.com. Scroll down to find the video.)

If you have another ten minutes you can also watch the video below about Joel and his incredible faith. Enjoy! (I did!) :-)



Praying God is revealing Himself to you in new ways as you continue LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

With love & joy,

3 comments:

Kristi J said...

Sounds like a GREAT book...I'd love to read it...I'd fall asleep right now if I tried to sit still...I used to love to read...hope to get back to it some day :) thanks for sharing, kj

Amy Savage said...

I love that I came across this clip of Beth. She is absolutely precious and chasing after God's heart in such encouraging ways. My husband went to high school with her and I went to high school with her husband. I went to hear her speak when she was in Cincinnati last year and it was powerful to hear what God is doing in the lives of the orphans she serves. "Reckless Faith" is worth every penny. I know you will enjoy it, be moved by it and reminded of God's huge heart for the fatherless. - Amy Savage

ellie said...

Amy Jo,

Thanks for the sweet comment on Tia's blog. I love your blog!! I am excited to find some time to make a coffee and sit down and read from the beginning and get to know you . . . you inspire me!

Hugs!

ellie