Saturday, April 4, 2009

eternal perspective

I've always loved the idea of Philippians 3:20,21:

"But we are citizens of heaven and are eagerly waiting for our Savior to come from there. Our Lord Jesus Christ has power over everything, and he will make these poor bodies of ours like his own glorious body." (CEV)

However, it wasn't until just recently that I began to really understand how doing so can give me freedom in my life today.

Living on earth as a citizen of heaven allows me to really experience the "peace which passes all understanding." (Philippians 4:7) It helps me to let go of my own agenda and really rest in the knowledge that God (1) does indeed have a plan for my life (2) His plan is good, and (3) His plan will prevail.

This new revelation is certainly not one that I uncovered on my own. Honestly, one day God simply unlocked the hidden meaning of His Word and the light bulb went on. I still don't think that I have the full understanding of all that this means. But, I will say that my vision is much, much clearer.

Looking back at all of the earthly matters that used to cause me severe stress and turmoil seem so small now. I feel so much more free to enjoy the gift of today and to truly rejoice in life's trials. Having my own way, regardless of what's at stake, actually seems quite laughable.

But, before I come across as a saint, please note that just because I am starting to understand what it means to live "as a citizen of heaven," it doesn't mean that therefore every word and action I choose are godly. Oh, how I wish that were true!

I can sense that God has actually raised the bar for me and given me a new standard to live by. In the past, this would have been incredibly scary for me as I know that in my own right, I'm unable to go a day without sinning or making a mistake. Fortunately, I've learned that He doesn't expect me to live perfectly or to change myself. He simply wants me to be willing to change and to acknowledge that I need His help.

So, what was the key that opened this new level of awareness for me? I think it was a combination of things, really. My kids and I just finished listening to Randy Alcorn's Heaven for Kids book on CD. I highly recommend it; especially if your family happens to be big Narnia fans like us. :) I admit, I used to be worried about being bored in Heaven. Ha. Little did I know! Now I can't wait to get there...in God's time, of course.

Tom Davis' books Fields of the Fatherless and Red Letters: Living a Faith that Bleeds and Francis Chen's book Crazy Love have most definitely inspired and transformed my heart. God is doing BIG things right now. I can sense it and I'm hearing/reading about it more and more through others who are following Jesus.

The biggest impact, of course, has simply been spending time with my Creator. Reading His Word, pouring my heart out to Him throughout my day (both in praise and in prayer) and keeping my spirit sensitive to His Holy Spirit.

Again, please don't think I've figured it all out. I'm still, thankfully, a work in progress. I love this adventure I'm on and the fact that I still have so much more to learn. :-) God's wisdom is available to each and every one of us. Are you hungry for it? Have you tasted it yet? It is oh-so-sweet, my Friend!

Praying you are LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

With joy,

2 comments:

richmond said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://ramupgrade.info

Andy and Wendy Ingram said...

Amy, I am loving your blog and ministered to by your heart and journey. I am looking forward to reading Crazy Love. Right now I am reading Small Footprint, Big Handprint by Tri Robinson. Thanks for your authenticity and all the great scripture!!!!!
Wendy