Monday, April 27, 2009

dropping the plates

Do you ever feel like you're balancing plates in life? Isn't it true that just as you get one area of your life "spinning," another area suddenly starts to slip and fall? It becomes a crazy act of running around, wearing ourselves out and watching one plate after another fall and shatter. It's frustrating, isn't it?

I was talking to my mentor a couple of weeks ago and realized that God had given me yet another key in understanding my walk with Him. The first thing I realized was that never once did He ask me to balance plates. (Oops.) It's no wonder I was feeling like a failure and dropping plates left and right!

I think He got my attention when I asked Him to break my heart for those things that break His heart. It's definitely an ongoing process, but He started first by opening my eyes to those who are suffering in third-world countries.

God started to grow a heart of compassion within me for those suffering on the other side of the world. And yet, I still found myself feeling cranky towards my neighbors. Argh.

I knew that while I was learning and growing, I still wasn't getting it right. It's not an "either/or" or even "both." It's an ALL. God wants to be Lord over every area of my life and heart. Not just one or two.

I was frustrated spinning those plates because I was trying to do it all on my own. Really, God was calling me to a place of surrender. He was calling me to drop my plates.

And so I did.

Miraculously, I began to see that those plates began to balance and spin beautifully because His love and grace were holding them up.

As I surrender myself to God and His love for me, He's able to align all areas of my life to His will and my good. Unfathomable grace. Isn't He amazing?!?

Learning more every day and thankful to be LIVING A BLESSED LIFE because of His goodness.

Sweet blessings,
Amy

1 comment:

Andy and Wendy Ingram said...

Yes, I am joining you with "dropping the plates". When I do choose to surrender, he always shows himeself to be enough! Praying for both of us that we continue to experience the joy, freedom, and grace the Father brings as we surrender all!