Saturday, April 11, 2009

dandelion wishes & perfume

Awhile back, I went into a clothing store in search of "the perfect white shirt." I knew what I wanted, because I had seen a picture of it in a catalog. That was a good thing, because I was meeting with my mentor and only had about ten minutes to shop.

So, I breezed into the store and made my way quickly around the racks. After a couple of minutes, the saleswoman came up behind me and asked if she could help me. I told her what I was looking for and she immediately walked over to "the" shirt.

As she handed me said shirt, she said, "If you end up liking it, you might want to buy it at Targ*t, because they sell almost the exact same shirt for about 1/2 the price. Although I probably shouldn't be telling you that."

As if those words weren't a bit surprising, her next words took me by pleasant surprise. "By the way, what perfume are you wearing? It's really nice. I could smell it as I followed you through the store." :-)

I was instantly reminded of the following verses found in 2 Corinthians 2:14:

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task? Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God."

It's a beautiful image, isn't it? But unfortunately, while may be true on most days, there are some days (or more) when my fragrance is more reminiscent of Ecclesiastes 10:1. :-(

This week, I had one of "those" days. Geoff came home sick on Tuesday night. Instead of being able to take my sanity night as I expected, I spent the night taking care of three kiddos who weren't at their best either. (I was happy to let my man sleep; don't get me wrong, it just ended up being a rough night had by all.) :-(

The next morning, I was feeling bad about being impatient with my kids, and asked God to forgive me (later on, I asked my kids to as well.) As I was praying, the Lord brought to mind a dandelion wish. (Is that what they are called?)

He showed me that regardless of whether I am living out of His Spirit or out of my flesh, I directly affect all those I interact with. When the winds of life "blow on me," there are little seedlings that are released and planted. The seeds will sow either a harvest of beautiful flowers--OR--weeds. (And we all know how quickly weeds grow and spread.)

Every morning I wake up praying that God will increase within my heart and life, while I decrease. On my own, I make so many mistakes and hurt others with my actions or words. Either on purpose, or as my kids like to claim, "on accident." Regardless, that's not how I want to be. That's not who I want to be. I want to be like Christ and reflect His sweet Spirit and plant seeds of life, joy & love...for Him.

LIVING A BLESSED LIFE, even when I'm standing in a field of dandelions.

With hope,

2 comments:

Mom Of Many said...

Great word picture! Well written Amy!

And for the record, that was amazingly cool that the sales lady told you where to find the shirt for 1/2 price! Did you go to Targ*t and find it?

I gotta' know! xo

Amy Jo said...

Thanks...and YES. The store was J Jill...one that I love the clothes but not the prices. Buying the short in the first place would have been a big deal...so her sharing that info with me was really a blessing. :-)