Wednesday, April 29, 2009

be(love)d

I saw a photo of a group of kids wearing red t-shirts on someone's blog recently that said:

BE(LOVE)D

Wow. I loved it (pun intended) and have been trying to track down where I could buy some for my own fam. (If any of you happen to know, please let me know. I left a comment on their blog, but their last entry was pretty old, so I'm not sure if they still check it. THANKS!)

Anyhow. The t-shirts caught my eye because God has been working overtime lately in teaching me all about love.

There is power in love. The Bible tells us that "God is love." I think the verse in 1 Peter 4:8 says it best, "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."

If only it were that easy, right? When someone wrongs us or hurts our feelings, love is the last thing our flesh wants to respond with. I think the t-shirt I saw is the key to all of our problems and pains.

We are first to "Be Loved" and then we can "Be Love." Awesome.

God wants me to first receive His love for me. When I am able to grasp even just a tiny bit of the depth of His love for me, I can't help but fall deeper in love with Him. As I do, that love comes pouring out towards myself, my family, my neighbors, my friends and His children around the world. I can't explain exactly how it happens, but it just does. I'm so thankful that His ways are far above mine. 'Cuz honestly, I just wasn't doing a very good job on my own.

When we allow His love to flood our lives, it affects all areas, not just some. It's then that we are able to begin living a life of love.

It's about having a heart of compassion towards others (and ourselves) and investing ourselves in others. The mistake we often make, however, is trying to do it on our own.

I receive a Scripture verse in my email every day from the New Living Translation(TM) that always seems to be timely. Yesterday's verse was Galations 5:13:

"For you have been called to live in freedom--not freedom to satisfy your sinful nature, but freedom to serve one another in love."

I've been thinking about this verse all day long. Really, this is what it's all about. I have been blessed with a life of freedom and each day choose how I spend my time, my money and myself. It's my choice if I focus my resources on myself or on others.

When I'm self-absorbed, I tend to be easily irritated, put out and overwhelmed by the needs of others around me.

When I respond in love, however, I find that joy just starts bubbling up within me. The act of being love makes me want to invest even more of myself into others. It's an incredible thing.

In order to be able to invest ourselves in others, we need to make sure that we find our strength and power in Christ. When we allow Him to fill us up with His love first, we are motivated to be a blessing to others.

(Of course, this doesn't mean that we are to stop taking care of ourselves. Part of that love needs to be invested into our own self-care. So, for all of you moms reading this, please be sure that you're not neglecting yourselves!)

Speaking of self-care for moms...how about a yummy cup of 963's Cocoa from Ghana? I'm sitting here drinking my first cup of it. YUM! I think we'll be ordering more in the very near future. It's totally delish'. (As soon as I can figure out how to do a giveaway online, I'll be posting info about how you can receive a free sample for yourself.)

So, my Friend, allow yourself to BE loved so that you are able to BE love. And, keep LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Sweetest blessings,

2 comments:

Tom Davis said...

Great post! And yes, I found the camera!

Wendy said...

I just wanted to tell you today that I LOVE reading/following your blog!
~ Wendy