Monday, March 23, 2009

following the three month rule

So, most pregnant women wait until they are three months along before they announce that their big news. Along those same lines...GUESS WHAT?!? :-)

You guessed it. Our family is growing - AGAIN! And we are EVER SO EXCITED! We are currently three months into our process of bringing our beautiful son HOME FROM ETHIOPIA!!! If only I could share his handsome face with you.

Would you believe that aside from his beautiful brown skin and gorgeous curly black hair - he looks an awful lot like Liam? No kidding. Same face shape and big chocolate eyes. He's as close to a twin as my other son could have. And guess what?!? He's seven('ish) as well! I soooo wish we could post a picture, but until it's all official, you'll have to trust me when I say that he is gorgeous! I know, I know, already speaking like a proud Mama...but, HE IS! :-)

The adoption process can bring all kinds of delays and unexpected changes. We are still completing our paperwork and have not yet been officially referred to our new son. However, we feel an incredible peace that God led us to this precious boy and that even before we have met him - we believe with all of our hearts that he is truly our son. Adoption is an amazing thing.

Geoff and I just returned home from attending a life changing seminar through Kingdom Kids Adoption Ministry in Spokane, Washington. We were blessed to learn all about Ethiopia and adopting older children, along with 12 other couples. It is absolutely amazing to see all that God is doing in the hearts of His children.

Geoff and I have been learning so much lately about God's hearts towards the widow and orphan. That is where His heart is. That is where we want our hearts (and lives) to be invested. Working in the fields of the fatherless. Ministering to and caring for the widow.

"Learn to do good.
Seek justice.
Help the oppressed.
Defend the cause of orphans.
Fight for the rights of widows."
Isaiah 1:17 (NLT)

If you have felt God knocking on the door of your heart, I strongly encourage you to open the door and allow Him to speak His truth to you. Search the Bible for all of the Scriptures that refer to widows and orphans. I agree that not all families are called to adopt. But, every single one of us is called to do something on behalf of the 143,000,000 (PLUS) orphans worldwide.

It takes courage to step outside of our comfortable lives and take a risk. I guarantee you, however, that every step you take will be more than worth it. You will be blessed in ways you never could have imagined.

If you have felt a nudge towards giving a child a home, please don't be deterred by the countless fears and worries that will begin to overwhelm you. God will provide the finances to cover the fees to adopt. God will meet your every need (and then some!) God will go ahead of you and prepare the way. God will open just the right door at just the right time. God will close all of the other doors that may try to distract or discourage you.

If you aren't feeling the nudge to adopt, please consider helping someone else adopt. There are countless Christian organizations that provide scholarships to help families raise the necessary funds. There are countless amazing organizations that can match you with a child that you can sponsor on a monthly basis for only $35 (or less.) You may also want to consider joining the Mocha Club (only $7 a month!)

Please know that my heart's desire is to honor and give glory to the God of this universe. I'm not trying to be pushy - just encouraging. I haven't figured all of this out yet, nor do I really hope to (in this life.) :-) But, I can share what my personal experience has been---it's been phenomenal. God is doing incredible things in our family and I am LIVING A (VERY) BLESSED LIFE. My hope and prayer is that you are too, my Friend.

Sweetest blessings,

8 comments:

Jeanette said...

Congratulations Amy!!! So excited for you and your family and I will be praying that the Lord directs every step towards your son! Can't wait to follow your journey!

Joy Portis said...

So excited! Can't wait to see him at home! It's funny, because I've had more than one person ell me that Zoe looka a lot lie me :-) too funny! I didn't knw you were going to Spokane?!? Wasn't it wonderful! How were Michelle and Steve doing? Did they mention why they took down the photo listing?

Praying for a smooth process for you and for God to prepare all of your hearts and his for his new family!

Blessings my sweet friend!

Mama2Many said...

Congratulations Momma! I am so HAPPY for you all ~ May the Lord grant you a speedy process to bring home your beautiful new son!
(Can't wait to see his picture!)

The Taylor family said...

oooh girl! you give me goosebumps!

so love this wild ride we are on. am really looking forward to seeing little man home.

and you look SOOOOOO good for 3 months pg with #4!

lub you,
claire

Shelley said...

WHOOO HOOOO Amy!!!!! Congratulations!!! What wonderful news...thank for sharing it with us. I caught your status update on FB and came running over to find out what was going on.
Love to you and your precious and ever growing family!!!
In HIS Mighty Grip

KT said...

How exciting!!! We are thrilled for you! Praying for you! Can't wait to see his picture!!
Much love,
Katie

Girly Girl Mommy said...

What wonderful news! I'm excited to follow your steps in this journey.
And thank you for your encouragement in this post. I have been feeling deterred and discouraged that the doors I have been praying would open so we can begin our adoption journey appear to be opening and then remain tightly closed. I needed the reminder that He will provide in His timing.
Thanks and Blessings,
Kelly

Erica said...

Congratulations!!! Can't wait to follow the rest of your journey.