Tuesday, March 31, 2009

crazy love

After reading about this book on several different blogs, I finally bought a copy. I had read some of the mixed reviews on Amazon and wasn't sure if the book would resonate with me or not. However, the three people who recommended the book are people whose lives reflect the glory and love of God in a most beautiful way. And so, I stopped procrastinating and bought my own copy.

So far, I have not been disappointed.

Does the author make me feel comfortable about my life today? No way.
Does he challenging my current thinking? Absolutely!
Does he make me feel good about myself and my faith? In some ways, yes.
Does he make me what to be a better person? Definitely.
Does he tell me what I should believe, or does he challenge me to dig deeper into Scripture and pray? The latter; every chance he can get! :-)

I just finished reading a chapter on "lukewarm Christians." Oh my. Talk about convicting. Some of his descriptions of one hit home. Ouch. God has been challenging me in the area of not just loving those who love and are kind to me.

This is my new (daily) prayer. I'm thankful that God is both forgiving and patient. I'm also thankful that once I make myself available to Him, He begins to change me in ways I never thought possible.

I admit that the chapter took me two days to read--and I'm not a slow reader. Yesterday I closed the book and couldn't gather the courage to read any more. Sometimes the big things just need to sit for a bit. (i.e., I needed the Holy Spirit needs to do some rototilling of the soil before my brain was ready to accept new seed.) Today, accompanied by a freshly brewed cup of coffee, I sat down to read on. I'm so glad I did.

When the light bulb finally went on, I couldn't believe the knowledge that God was bringing to life within me. It's one of those foundational truths that once you get, so many other things start to make sense. Oh, if I could only pass on all that I learned in a short (LONG) blog post. If only wisdom was so accessible. But I guess if it was, we wouldn't desire it so. ;-)

I haven't finished the book yet, but I agree with my three friends (aka "real life heroes), it's a good book. Very good.

OK...off to ruminate (germinate?) some more. :-)

LIVING A BLESSED LIFE and growing a tiny bit more every day.

3 comments:

Charlene said...

I'm reading the same book right now!!! You describe it well. I need to go back and reread parts slowly. I think I was in "overload" and started to read it not READ it. Love that God has brought us together and that we're at the same place to walk this road together. I love you!

Becky Ryder said...

My husband read Crazy Love for Men's Bible study. We really discussed the part about the author willing to give up all for Jesus. Really enlightening. We are at the point where witnessing is becoming our goal! God bless you!

Wright Family said...

Hi Amy Jo,
Yes, I am happy to do custom orders! Just send me a conversation at my etsy site and let me know what you'd like and I am happy to do that:) Thanks for saying hello!
rebekah wright