Friday, March 27, 2009

BEADforLIFE

Isn't this a beautiful picture? I happened upon their website yesterday and was so inspired. I have seen many different approaches to poverty~many of which, I admit, have left me feeling sad and discouraged.

This is a little bit about their work that I found on Facebook:

"Ugandan women turn colorful recycled paper into beautiful bead jewelry, and people who care open their hearts, homes and communities to buy and sell the beads.

The beads thus become income, food, medicine, school fees -- and hope. It is a small miracle that enriches us all.

BeadforLife eradicates extreme poverty by creating bridges of understanding between impoverished Africans and concerned world citizens.

All profits from BeadforLife are invested in community development projects that generate income and help people work their way out of poverty."

The mission of BeadforLife it to create "sustainable opportunities for women to lift their families out of extreme poverty by connecting people worldwide in a circle of exchange that enriches everyone."

How can you and I help them reach their mission? We can purchase their beautiful handmade products, buy a CD or host a bead party. How fun would that be?

When I was at the adoption seminar last weekend, Michelle shared that the average life expectancy for an Ethiopian is 43. People who have reached this age can actually appear to be twice their age because of the poverty, malnutrition and disease they experience.

Michelle went on to say that the women she has met during her time in Ethiopia could very well be her sister. As she watches them pass on custody of their children because they are either dying or unable to feed them any longer, she wonders, "Why her and not me?" I cried as soon as she spoke the words for I feel the same way.

There are so many, many ways we can love our brothers and sisters around the world, my Friend, this is simply one.

Praying that many others may be LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

1 comment:

Jenny Lane said...

Georgeous post! So nice to meet you in the world of blogging! I never knew when we started ours that it would open up so many opportunities to meet others and share one God-story after another! (I've never actually met Joy, only through a friend, then several emails!) Blessings on your newest adoption.....we haven't completed our first and are already "planning" the 2nd!! :) I'll keep a check on your journey!
Jenny