Sunday, December 7, 2008

we are together

I don't even know where to start. I'd like to say that this documentary is incredible, amazing, and life changing. It is, but unfortunately, I've used those very same words when I've written about other films. Phenomenal? Check. Left me speechless? Yes, I'm beginning to think so.

Let me just say that if I could, I would buy thousands of copies of this film and mail them all over America. In short, this is yet another MUST SEE DVD. If you haven't watched one of my recommendations yet, I strongly suggest you put this one on the top of your list.

Here's a brief description of the film from their website:

"Slindile lives at the Agape orphanage, a loving home for children who have lost their parents situated in the beautiful valley of 1000 hills, South Africa. Singing is a part of everyday life at Agape and the children have formed a much loved choir.

The award winning film WE ARE TOGETHER tells the incredible story of the children of Agape choir. Filmed over three years, it follows the children’s remarkable journey as they overcome hardship and loss and embark on a life changing musical journey."

Honestly, I don't mean to be redundant with my movie recommendations, and maybe it's just me, but I honestly can't watch enough of these documentaries. There's a deep passion in my heart for people worldwide who are struggling.

On any given day, I can struggle, but while Geoff and I watched We Are Together I realized that my kind of struggle is so small compared to true hardships other people outside of the United States experience.

I saw a strength in the children that far exceeds anything I have ever known. They have a joy that I long to experience. Their sense of family commitment is something I have never known. Their compassion for each other left me yearning to be transformed in a deeper way than I have ever imagined.

Oh, and did I mention they have the most beautiful voices I have ever heard? On the top of my Christmas Wish List is a copy of their CD. :-)

(Dawn, while it's probably safe to eat your ice cream while watching this one, I would recommend you enjoy a bowl beforehand. This film is very different than A Walk to Beautiful in that it's not necessarily "hard to stomach." However, the reality of their lives makes all of our everyday luxuries less enjoyable, or at least important. If that makes sense. Don't forget to watch all of the extras on the DVD, especially the interview with Paul Taylor.)

I'm not really sure what else I can say about this movie. We laughed. We cried. We smiled. We sighed. Good movies do that. But when the stories are real and completely unscripted, they have the capacity to impact you in such a deep, deep way.

If you're feeling overwhelmed with all of your responsibilities; if you feel like you are in a rut; if you need a breath of fresh air and long to be inspired, this movie may be just what you need. If you do watch it, please come back and let me know what you thought. :-)

Part of my definition of LIVING A BLESSED LIFE is to embrace the blessings from God in the midst of the challenges life in this world bring. I have a feeling the children at Agape House have a much better understanding of what this means that I do.

I'm so thankful for all they have taught me and feel so humbled by their joy and strength.

No comments: