Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I fell in love...

...all over again. With my husband, with my children and with a city I've known my entire life.

It all started at 8:30 am on Thanksgiving morning as we boarded the 500 train to downtown Seattle. Really, I have to say, there is no better way to travel.

The gentleman at the ticket counter made our trip especially nice when he offered to not only upgrade our tickets, but allow our family to be the first to board the train. Gotta love the special treatment. It definitely started our trip on a very nice note.

The kids enjoyed hanging out for the short 3 1/2 hour ride. We played Yahtzee, Uno and Crazy 8's. Liam watched a movie. Geoff and I enjoyed being able to relax right along with our kids and not worry about crazy holiday traffic.


A spectacular view from the train (above)


Sara seemed to really enjoy the rocking of the train. She surprised us by falling asleep on the way up and on the way back home. :-)

A gorgeous view of the renowned Pike's Market Place on the way to our Thanksgiving dinner. Served by the staff at McCormick & Schmicks. I have to say, I loved not having to cook or do dishes this year!

It's kind of hard to see, but along with the beautiful sunset, we enjoyed seeing all of the trees decorated downtown in white lights. We walked everywhere and enjoyed experiencing the city up close. Much better than driving in a car and trying to find parking!

On Friday morning, one of Chelsea's dreams came true. We were able to catch up with Seattle's Macy Day Parade. She's been wanting to see a parade in person for years. Both she and Sara loved it. Liam wasn't at all into it and couldn't wait until we were able to board the monorail to the Seattle Center.

After stopping by Starbucks for a couple of much needed Cinnamon Dolce Lattes, we made our way to the Children's Museum and spent a couple of hours there.
Me and my buddy, Li. :-)

Everyone fashioned their own Mr./Ms. Potato Head. This was Liam's creation.


We just happened to link our schedule up with Seattle's Mayor. We saw him first at the Train Dedication Ceremony. The little town was meticulously decorated.


We enjoyed a late lunch at PF Chang's in honor of Sara's "Gotcha Day" Anniversary. She was thrilled with the Great Wall of Chocolate...this is her licking the chocolate off her NAPKIN! Oh my. Can't blame her, it was G O O D!


Starbucks was passing out FREE samples of their yummy "Signature Hot Chocolate."


We again caught up with the Mayor at the Tree Lighting Ceremony. There was snow (or rather soap bubbles that looked like snow), a swarm of people and lots of Christmas carolling to be had. The highlights involved the speakers being blown out at the radio station crew using sign language to lead us through the countdown and my 3 year old hollering out, "Merry Christmas, PEOPLE!"
On our final day, we enjoyed a delicious breakfast at a Bolivian restaurant overlooking Pike's Market Place. Afterwards, we made our way through a VERY, VERY, VERY crowded market place, stopping to pay homage to the world's very first Starbucks. We also had to stop by the fish stalls so that the kids could see the famous "fish toss."
The dried flower arrangements are always so pretty.

Yes, she's ASLEEP. Who would have thought anyone could fall asleep on top of their Daddy's head while walking through the very crowded and very LOUD marketplace???


Geoff only brought the pocket camera on this trip, but I have to say, he did a nice job with his pics. (Thanks, Hon!)
There was a trip to the pier where we rode the carousel (again) and played skee ball. Afterwards, we talked the kids into a hike to Seattle's new library. It was gorgeous and included many levels and escalators.
Everywhere we looked, we saw Christmas trees.
I'm sure we wore our kiddos out with all the walking, but I was in heaven! Really. I've made so many trips to Seattle, but this was the first time I was able to really experience the city. Staying in the heart of Seattle and relying only upon our feet for transportation was amazing.

The weekend was just what our family needed and we had an incredible time. Being in such a new and exciting environment allowed us to connect on new and exciting levels. Truly a blessing!

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well and that your Christmas Season is off to a joyful start!

On that note, I'll leave you with one last glimpse of our weekend. We enjoyed all kinds of sights and sounds, but the one shown in the video below was by far my favorite! Sara and Liam gettin' down to some funky music. :-)

Yes, my Friends, I am most definitely LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

video



3 comments:

Heidi said...

Seattle looked wonderful. I do love a good city trip! And the train ride...still think that was such a fabulous way to travel. Kids look so cute, you look fabulous! Feel good today as you are truely blessed!

katemcdonald said...

oh you made me miss Seattle....seriously...

thanks for your kind words on my blog. means so much

Pam said...

Amy, your weekend looked absolutely perfect! What fun family time you all had together. I've never been to Seattle and now I'm dying to go! Maybe on day....

As usual Geoff did awesome with the camera.

Pam