Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Every Now & Then by Karen Kingsbury

A few weeks ago, Zondervan sent me an advance reader's copy of Karen Kingsbury's new novel, Every Now & Then. I'm a huge fan of Karen's writing and love to read, so I couldn't wait to dive into her latest book. I have to say, I wasn't disappointed.

Here's a description of the book straight from Karen's website:

"Every Now & Then is a gripping story of danger and heroism. L.A. sheriff’s deputy Alex Brady fights crime during the worst fire season in California’s history. Now he faces the ultimate test. Will he have the courage to open his heart to love again?

Only the friendship of Clay and Jamie Michaels - and the love of a dedicated young woman - can help Alex drop the walls around his heart and move forward into the future God has for him."

The main character, Alex Brady, lost his father on September 11th, a day that many of us wish we could forget. The reality, however, is that what happened seven years ago still affects many people in our world today. They are still trapped in their pain and grief, leaving them unable to move past the devastating losses they experienced on that tragic day.

In the book, Alex's mother commented that she didn't only lose a husband that day, she also lost a son. The victims of 9/11 go far beyond those who lost their lives and it's important for the rest of us to be not only sensitive, but prayerful, about that fact.

I pray this book will find its way into the hands of those who need a gentle nudge towards fully embracing their grief and allowing God to bring the healing they desperately need and deserve.

While the story and characters are not real, there's a reason why Karen calls her writing ministry Life Changing Fiction(TM). The lessons and healing the characters find in her books are easily applied to our own personal lives. Karen's writing is most definitely God-inspired and a blessing to those who invest their time and money into reading her well-written stories.

As one who loves writing but is not yet published, I'm thoroughly impressed by Karen's ability to make her characters come to life. They are so believable they pull you into the story before you realize what's happened.

I also appreciate how Karen is able to take one or two Scripture verses and weave them throughout the story. I hope that other readers will appreciate this strength as well and that God will use books such as Every Now & Then to stir within our hearts a greater passion for His Word.

The only thing I struggled with while reading the book was the amount of detail included in the second chapter. Perhaps it was me, but I found myself on sensory overload trying to process all of the information. I think I would have preferred to have the characters introduced individually, rather than all at once.

That said, once I got past Chapter 2, I was unable to put the book down and thoroughly enjoyed reading the rest of the story. I finished the book in less than two days. :-) Need I say more?

If you're looking for a good book to cozy down with in front of a blazing fire, or perhaps something to stick in a loved one's stocking this year, I highly recommend Every Now & Then. You won't be disappointed.

Ah, Life Changing Fiction(TM), definitely a part of LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!


2 comments:

Emily Makes Six said...

Thanks for sharing...I am looking for a good fiction book to read...we head out today and look for it!

Love you!

Nichole

Pam said...

I LOVE Karen Kingsbury! I'll definitely be on the lookout for this new title!

Pam