Sunday, November 30, 2008

my snuggle girl

Oh how I wish I had a before and after photo (or better yet, VIDEO) to show you how far my youngest has come. When she first joined our family, she used to literally writhe in fear if we tried to snuggle her. It was the saddest thing, especially for a family who thrives on love and touch.

Last night, on the train ride home from Seattle (more to come), I was blessed to snuggle my little sweetie for a couple of hours.

After harassing her big sister for awhile, I invited her to come over and sit with me. She climbed up onto my lap, put her headphones on (I think she was listening to Boz - as in the green bear), nestled in and went to sleep.

These are still moments that shock us. I couldn't help but get Geoff's attention so that he didn't miss the rare event. A peaceful AND snuggly little girl.

Can I just say that it was absolutely DREAMY? Every day it seems like she settles in just a little bit more, and it fills my heart with absolute joy.

Tonight after we decorated our home for Christmas, she became enthralled with our stockings. She read off our names "Dadda, Mommy, Ches-sea, Lee-um, and Sair-wa...1,2,3,4,5...we are a fam-u-wee!!!" So sweet.

It brings tears to my eyes as I think of how far she has come. To borrow a phrase from my beautiful friend Nichole, "To think we could have missed this..."

It's humbling to be used to help transform the life of another and absolutely exhilarating when God turns the tables and allows THEM to transform YOU.

Love, peace, joy and snuggles. Four reasons why I am LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Amy,
What a beautiful post... brings tears to my eyes. Bekah isn't a snuggler very often, and I too charish those moments. Yes, God is so good.
Missing you.
DD

Emily Makes Six said...

I just love you more and more every day! Thanking God for your "snuggles" and that "we didn't miss this"! How great is our God that He touches us with His hand by giving us a taste of His glory through "snuggles" and he says, My beloved, enjoy "it" all was worth it.
Love you bunches!

Nichole

Hilty Sprouts! said...

It is such a blessing and a privilege to help our sweet girl to heal the wounds inside! We are so thankful that the Lord has taught us a different way to parent and led us to a wonderful Christian therapist to help meet her needs.

So many of these little ones have experienced trauma that we cannot even imagine dealing with. It can delay their development in every area and even change their brain chemistry. So when we see progress it is sweet indeed!

Thanks for sharing. It helps to know that we are not alone in our struggles and there is hope for these kiddos that we all love so much!