Wednesday, October 1, 2008

war dance


Child soldiers? The thought is unfathomable. My brain is still trying to process through the stories told in the movie Geoff and I watched on Sunday. The film had a deep impact on both of us.

Here's a write up that I found about the movie:

"Since 1985, the children of the Acholi tribe in northern Uganda have been victimized both by civil war and by a rebel force, the Lord’s Resistance Army. Millions have been displaced into camps where life is harsh. But when one camp’s primary school won the right to compete in Uganda’s national music and dance festival, its children dared to dream again. Nominated for an Academy Award, WAR DANCE follows three of these children - Dominic, Rose and Nancy – as they faced their past and imagined their future." (The Producers of WAR DANCE, quoted from http://www.shineglobal.org/)

While I'm unable to articulate complete thoughts about the film, at a very high level I can comment that is powerful, life changing, horrific, magnificent, convicting, devastating, profound, uplifting, brutal and very, very real. Like I said, I'm still processing the information that was shared, and my heart is again, very heavy today.

Thank you, Lord, for your incredible mercy, love and grace. Thank you for giving my children a safe home with two parents to care for, protect and nurture them.

Please forgive me for the countless times I have complained and been unappreciative of your abundant gifts. Please help me to be more aware of the needs around me in my day to day life, as well as those around the world.

Please, please bless, protect and heal the beautiful Acholi children who have experienced devastation, loss and unspeakable atrocities. May they know they are loved and forgiven by You. May they have a more accurate understanding of Your grace and mercy. Please bring them hope and opportunities for freedom (physically, emotionally and spiritually.) Give them life.

It is because of your grace and mercy that I am LIVING A BLESSED LIFE.

With grace,

1 comment:

HisFireFly said...

Oh my! I'll have to try to see this movie. My husband and I were in Northern Uganda last December, and have plans to bring a team back there again in January 2010.

You can read about our trip on my blog.

Keep the Acholi people in your prayers.