Tuesday, October 21, 2008

turning the day around

Do you ever have those days where you feel like you have totally lost your direction and focus?

Ah, today was one of those days for me. Somewhere along the way, things started to get off kilter and before I knew it everything felt like it was all wrong.

The good news is that feelings are not always a true reflection of our reality. My reality was simply that I had let a few things slip and it made my world feel like it had been turned upside down.

This morning I felt God place before me two options. I could stay stuck in the mire of my feelings (discouragement, depression, gloom, etc.) -OR- I could actually choose to do something about it.

Since I'm writing this post, you can probably guess that I chose the latter. Yup. I chose to ignore my feelings and get active.

And, you know what? I feel 1000 times BETTER. Whew. What a great feeling.

Here are a handful of things I chose to do in order to turn my day around:

Instead of getting stuck in routine, I decided to shake up my morning time with the Lord and found a Bible study taught by a woman I haven't learned from before. Just needed something new and fresh to stir up my spirit. (Anyone out there familiar with Priscilla Shirer? Can't wait to get started! Lifeway has her videos available to purchase one at a time online.)

Instead of paring down our school schedule, I gave it my all today; and therefore, so did my kids.

Instead of putting in a 1-mile workout, I chose to do the 2-mile. (Definitely a great way to combat the "yuck" feelings!)

Instead of making muffins on my own to save the mess in the kitchen, I invited Miss Sara to put on my apron and climb up on the step-ladder. While I didn't choose to eat one myself, I'm certainly still enjoying the yummy scent of chocolate chip & pumpkin muffins that is permeating my house. (Wish I could somehow make it come through your computer screen so you could enjoy it too!)

Instead of staying in my pj's and feeling crummy, I chose to treat myself to a mini-spa. (A hair treatment, new color on my toe nails, and extra care on my make-up really help turn the blahs upside down!)

Ah, and the cherry on top? Turning on two of my favorite Christmas CDs while Sara and I made muffins. (There's definitely something to be said about being able to dance around the kitchen singing with MercyMe and SCC BEFORE all the crazy holiday schedule kicks in!)

So, what about you? Need a little boost in your day? Feeling like your life's out of control or just struggling to get past the blahs? What's one thing you can choose to do today that will help put a smile on your face?

On that note, why don't you stop reading right now and go do that one thing you just thought of?

Sometimes we need to shake things up in order to be LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!

Sweet blessings to you,

2 comments:

Tasha Via said...

Feelings, I know God has given them to us, and some have stronger ones that others (that would be me), but they do feel like a curse somedays. I feel a lot like you. My choice to choose TRUTH over FEELINGS is killer though. It really takes it out of me, but am so glad when I get through it! I love this post. I can totally relate=)

Kimberly said...

This is such a great post! We really do have to choose not to let our feelings rule! Mine really do like to be in control, though!

Okay, first, I am now so craving some chocolate chip pumpkin muffins. I read about someone else making those on another blog. I'm just going to have to make some SOON! :)

Yes, I have heard of Priscilla Shirer. I have never done any of her studies myself, but a close friend of mine is doing one right now and is loving it! So I hope you will enjoy yours!

I LOVE all of the beautiful pictures on your blog...the gorgeous views from the drive to your house and especially the rainbow! Wow!

I came by to thank you for your sweet congrats! Thank you! And thanks for the encouragement I found here as well!

Blessings,
K :)