Thursday, October 9, 2008

life is like...

...a cup of coffee. For the past three months I've been battling my coffee maker. You see, each night, I grind the coffee and set the timer for 4:45 so that it's ready for me when I wake up at 5:00. My new favorite time of day. :-)

Well, the coffee has been there waiting for me, but as soon as mix it up just the way I like it, I'm disappointed to taste that it's bitter---again.

And so I've spent countless hours (o.k., minutes!) running the coffee maker through it's "clean" function and hand washing all hand-washable parts. And yet, day in and day out, the coffee has the same funky taste instead of the one I love oh-so-much.

Until last Saturday when my sweet man beat me to the punch and mixed up a fresh brew. Guess what?!? It was the cup of coffee I have been craving for MONTHS! The next day I told him that I was going to pay close attention to his technique to find out what I was doing wrong.

The funny thing is that he doesn't even WASH the coffee pot. Rather, he gives it a quick rinse and swirl. Hmmm. So, that wasn't the solution or even the cause of what I refer to as my "coffee funk."

Next, he poured in the water and put some beans in the grinder. This is where I paid close attention. How long did he grind the beans for??? 10 whole seconds less than I did! And guess what? The coffee was sweet perfection...to the very last drop!

And there it was, the ticket I had been looking for back to my long-lost-friend. A delicious cup of hot, piping, delicious JAVA!!!

Can I tell you how pleased I was with my husband? Not only did he make me coffee two days in a row, but he finally solved my coffee-conundrum. (That phrase has got to be in the latest version of the dictionary, don't ya think?)

And that my friend, is called LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!!!

Enjoy your morning routine! (And, feel free to post a comment about how to brew the perfect cup of cofee...or even what your own morning routine involves...it's always fun to hear from those of you to take the time to drop by!)

2 comments:

HisFireFly said...

Sometimes I set up the coffee maker at night, and sometimes Rick does. It doesn't make much difference for we both make coffee the same way, occassionaly slipping in some flavoured beans as a surprise.
What is a deight in my life, however, is that every morning, Rick is out of bed first, pours my cup full,adding a splash of milk just the way I like it, and then wakes me with the call "Coffee Hon"
It is a routine that blesses the beginning of my day and reminds me how much I love and cherish my husband.

Valerie said...

Morning routine? I sleep. I trained the girls early on to get their own breakfast and don't wake up Mommy. I hate mornings.

Actually, I love those rare occasions (like today) when I wake up really early and get started on my day before things get bogged down in schedules. I don't feel so rushed and the day doesn't descend into chaos so quickly. I guess I just don't love it enough to put forth the effort to do it all the time. Maybe it's because I'm allergic to coffee...