Monday, October 6, 2008

faithful God

"Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands." Deuteronomy 7:9

On Friday, I posted about the many different challenges my family faced during the week. I had also asked some of my close friends to pray that God would give me wisdom, grace and patience in caring for my three children.

God is so incredibly faithful. Again, I had expected Him to respond in one way, and instead He showed up big time in completely different ways.

My oldest still really misses her close friend, but she's found ways to remember their time together and bridge the distance between them. She's also enjoyed spending some good one-on-one time with her other friend.

I'm still careful to remind her to not ignore her sadness, but to let it come up and actually feel it. What a blessing to be able to be able to walk through life's difficult times with her, as I know that unfortunately more will come her way.
My middle child is feeling much better and was able to sleep through the night all weekend. (And therefore I was able to enjoy sound sleep as well! Praise God!!!)

The struggles that my two older children were having least week resulted in both of them having more tender feelings towards each other. Liam's heart hurt when he saw Chelsea grieving her friend, while Chelsea was more compassionate to Liam because he was sick. Yesterday the two of them spent HOURS out in the rain playing together. :-)

Above is a picture of the two of them working on some school assignments together. I love seeing Chelsea helping Liam out.

One of my good friends gave me some awesome advice on how to work with Sara and her desire to do the opposite of whatever I asked. However, before I even had a chance to implement the idea, God showed me another way of helping Sara. Choices. I love Parenting With Love & Logic and have been using choices for about seven years now. They work wonders.

God showed me that Sara was struggling with control. He gave me a new way to use choices that would allow her to understand the outcome of her choices and yet truly give her the freedom to choose which option she wanted. It was SO amazing.

Chelsea and Sara had been fighting about something that day, so I shared with Chelsea how I was using choices with her little sister. Wouldn't you know, it worked!?! They were best buddies for the rest of the day.

Isn't that just the sweetest look on my little girl's face? It had been awhile since we saw her beautiful smile light up her face.

God is so good and faithful. He gives us exactly when we need exactly when we need it. I'm also thankful for friends who encourage me, pray for me and share ideas as needed.

I pray that you have friends to do the same, but even more so, I pray that you are able to experience the incredible faithfulness of our God.

Praying that today you are LIVING A BLESSED LIFE!!!

2 comments:

HisFireFly said...

Reminded of Romans 8:28

He really does work things out in amazing ways!

Thanks for sharing the praise reports.

Heidi said...

Amy,
I love this post. He is faithful. Seeing Liam and Chelsea working together and Sara happy makes me smile! I'm glad he gave you some answers. I need to do more with choices so thank you!
Love and hugs!
Heidi